1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - William Stones "Cannon Brewery" - Sheffield - Feb 2011

Discussion in 'Industrial Sites' started by Bugsuperstar, Mar 1, 2011.

  1. Bugsuperstar

    Bugsuperstar Irresponsible & Reckless
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2009
    Messages:
    787
    Likes Received:
    92
    Home Page:
    William Stones started brewing at premises in Acorn Street, where this brewery took up all the western side of the street, except for the Shalesmoor corner where the Red Lion was situated. Some time after 1860 he formed a partnership with a Mr. Watts, and moved about half a mile down the road, taking over the Neepsend Brewery of Shepherd, Green and Hatfield. This became "Cannon Brewery".

    In the early 1940s Stones produced a new, light coloured bitter beer, It was simply named "Stones Bitter"

    [​IMG]

    The Cannon Brewery and its tied estate of some 310+ pubs etc, which stretched throughout South Yorkshire and surrounding counties, was bought by Bass Charrington in 1968. Brewing continued and by then "Stones Bitter" was also brewed at the Tower Brewery in Tadcaster. The Sheffield brewery continued until 1999 when it closed. The name lives on and the beer is brewed by Coors Brewers Ltd, the successors to Bass, at their Burton-on-Trent brewery.

    credit - picturesheffield

    Annual horse parade of William Stones Ltd. - 1902/06/09

    [​IMG]

    1910 Beeston Humber in William Stones' Cannon Brewery yard

    [​IMG]

    The Brewery was also used to film some scenes for the 1996 film "when saturday comes"

    [​IMG]

    Visited with kitty

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    stumbled upon some other undesirables in there too :p

    [​IMG]

    Thanks for looking :thumb
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in