1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Abernant / Merthyr Tunnel Wales Oct 2013

Discussion in 'Underground Sites' started by Lenston, Oct 26, 2013.

  1. Lenston

    Lenston Bajo Tierra
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2013
    Messages:
    1,348
    Likes Received:
    1,032
    Visited with cunningcorgi,

    In 1845, Isambard Kingdom Brunel surveyed and prepared parliamentary plans for the Vale of Neath Railway which involved a 2,497-yard hole through the hill between Merthyr Tydfil and Aberdare, the second longest of Wales' tunnels. 650 feet below ground at its deepest point, it was built to accommodate broad gauge and formed part of the 6¼-mile Gelli Tarw Junction-Merthyr extension, opening on 2nd November 1853. It regularly takes two names - Merthyr, which is to its east, and Abernant.

    The contractor (Mr Davis) sunk two construction shafts, 1,280 yards apart, from which he drove 7-foot headings. One of these shafts was 282 feet deep. A system of troughs and fans pumped air down to the face whilst a 1-inch diameter pipe forced water at high-pressure through ‘roses’ into the workings to clear the powder-smoke hanging in the air after blasting.

    A third rail was added to the predominantly single track route in 1863, allowing GWR trains to reach Swansea. The broad gauge rail was removed and the line converted to standard gauge on 11th May 1872.

    In the mid-1870s, the tunnel partly collapsed as a goods train passed through, almost burying the locomotive. Locals declared the structure to be dangerous, a claim unsurprisingly contradicted by the investigating officer. Subsidence caused by mining beneath the tunnel later resulted in part of the structure settling by 10 feet.

    The S-shaped bore has masonry walls and a brick-lined roof. Close to its centre are two platelayers’ cabins. At the western end, for around 400 yards, the bore is wide enough for a double track layout; two small buildings mark the point where it suddenly becomes single.

    The route was closed to traffic on 31st December 1962.

    10499880564_9024f3882b_c.jpg

    10499866366_c96b391016_c.jpg

    10500065713_8660fc20ef_c.jpg

    10500065403_640b6442b4_c.jpg

    10513299605_913192d27b_c.jpg

    10513512443_37050f1091_c.jpg

    10513510813_4b9c6f79da_c.jpg

    10513332104_43b5cf0bb5_c.jpg

    10513507583_e2f752d773_c.jpg

    10499872294_ce9f96c3c2_c.jpg

    10499870734_5cef0a8691_c.jpg
     

    Attached Files:

    #1 Lenston, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in