1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Clarence Graving Docks,Liverpool 4-10

Discussion in 'Industrial Sites' started by kevsy21, Mar 7, 2011.

  1. kevsy21

    kevsy21 28DL Regular User
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2009
    Messages:
    145
    Likes Received:
    7
    The Clarence Graving Docks date from 1830, although they were modernised as part of a major programme lasting from 1928-33.
    They are unusual in Liverpool in being dug partly from rock. Some of the masonry work is of unusually high quality even by Hartley's standards. They have stepped sides and granite barrel runs. The southern graving dock has two chambers.
    The arrangement of a double half-tide entrance with a barge lock is similar to that at Princes except that here there is also a lock from the half-tide dock (Salisbury) to the fully-impounded one (Collingwood).
    The system was built at a period of great prosperity and rapidly expanding commercial enterprise, during the Industrial Revolution. This complex is of exemplary design and construction and it was designed and built by Jesse Hartley.
    The enclosed docks enabled ships to be unaffected by the rise and fall of the tide.
    The site was last used by Northwestern Ship repairers & Ship Builders Ltd who went on to acquire the Cammel Laird name.
    Since my visit some of the outbuildings are gone and the remaining ones are sealed up and the general area tidied up.
    SAM_9498.jpg

    SAM_9472.jpg

    SAM_9471.jpg
    The white building was the old canteen/restroom.
    SAM_9490.jpg

    SAM_9483.jpg

    SAM_9485.jpg
    The First Aid Room
    SAM_9480.jpg
    Inside
    SAM_9724.jpg

    SAM_9496.jpg

    SAM_9494.jpg

    SAM_9680.jpg

    SAM_9541.jpg

    SAM_9561.jpg

    SAM_9539.jpg

    SAM_9551.jpg
    The main workshop
    SAM_9481.jpg

    SAM_9697.jpg

    SAM_9690.jpg

    SAM_9521.jpg

    SAM_9535.jpg

    SAM_9577.jpg
    These were used to open the Lockgates.
    SAM_9512.jpg

    SAM_9515.jpg

    SAM_9527.jpg

    Thanks for looking.
     

    Attached Files:

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in