1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Frisby Jarvis Building / Farben Works, Leicester, 23rd June 2009

Discussion in 'Industrial Sites' started by layz, Jun 23, 2009.

  1. layz

    layz Conquistador d'Wolverton
    28DL Full Member

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2008
    Messages:
    109
    Likes Received:
    10
    Home Page:
    Hi Guys,

    Also from my solo tour of Leicester today was the Frisby Jarvis Building on Frog Island. This building was originally part of the Worsted Spinning Mill, which began operation in 1867. The office block extension was built in 1881. Both parts were built for William Thompson and Sons by the Leicester architects Shenton and Baker.

    Later uses of the factory included hosiery manufacture around 1914 when the more ‘modernist’ looking 4 storey building was added.
    Like most mills and factories this places was taken over by other smaller firms until its eventual closure in 2001. The site survived a fire in 2005 on the top floor of the more recent building to the west of the site; and is grade II listed.

    The site is heavily vandalised and partly demolished, a sad end to an eclectic building.

    (left) The 1881 extension, (right) The early 20th century addition:
    Picture071.jpg

    Picture030.jpg

    Top floor fire damage in the C20th addition:
    Picture073.jpg

    Picture075.jpg

    Picture084.jpg

    The remains of the demolished buildings:
    Picture064.jpg

    Picture066.jpg

    Picture058.jpg

    Picture061.jpg

    The 1881 building:
    Picture051.jpg

    Top floor:
    Picture023.jpg

    Wood panelling in the entrance/reception area:
    Picture031.jpg

    Picture046.jpg

    Picture041.jpg

    This belong to anyone?:
    Picture026.jpg

    Thanks Guys
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in