1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Hammill Brick, Kent - May 2010

Discussion in 'Industrial Sites' started by DarkDog, May 19, 2010.

  1. DarkDog

    DarkDog Too old to give a f*ck...
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2009
    Messages:
    66
    Likes Received:
    4
    Hammill Brick occupies the site of the former Hammill (or Woodnesborough) Colliery. Construction was started in 1910 by Arthur Burr's Goodnestone & Woodnesborough Colliery Ltd, and an extensive range of surface buildings had been erected by 1911 including an engine house, workshops and a chimney.

    No further work was to be undertaken until a branch from the East Kent Light Railway was completed, and by 1914 no sinking had yet started. At the outbreak of WW1, all further development of the site was halted for the duration of hostilities. Shortly after the war started the colliery was taken over by the Army for a cavalry re-mount unit, a large number of horses being stabled in the colliery buildings.

    Around this time Intermediate Equipments, the Holding Company, began to dispose of surface plant that had already been installed.

    After the war, no further development was undertaken, but apart from the wooden headgear the surface buildings were still complete in 1923 when the mine was sold to Pearson & Dorman Long, owners of Betteshanger Colliery.

    They kept the mineral rights and sold the colliery to the Hammill Brick Co. who built a brickworks on the site utilising some of the old colliery buildings, opening in June 1927.

    Hammill Brick continued trading until 2006, when a downturn in fortunes lead to the site running down. Despite an attempt to revitalise the company, the brickworks shut in 2008 and has been run on a care & maintenance basis ever since in the hope of keeping the site viable for a buyer.

    The Brickworks

    4619157203_854e25542f.jpg

    4619808452_57eb2fcd03.jpg

    4619192903_ffb2f7536c.jpg

    The Forge

    4619800846_8af93ae3eb.jpg 4619803916_17df2d09a7.jpg

    4619188207_299a965e23.jpg
    (A maintenance log for the brick making machinery found under several layers of dust)

    4619191163_9b0a06596c.jpg

    The Army Camp Nissen Huts

    4619799082_ac9dc0e498.jpg

    4619166579_2d457b48a7.jpg

    Engine House & Workshops

    4619778626_9ec3a1442f.jpg

    4619159593_327467eaa4.jpg

    4619174923_24372042bc.jpg 4619782422_9a015b17dd.jpg

    4619183555_06bfd371a9.jpg

    4619785026_9f7e5ebe3b.jpg 4619786882_36e8ec5022.jpg

    4619179031_e0468535bb.jpg 4619181941_107be214d1.jpg

    Thanks for looking...
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in