1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Leri Top Mill, Tal y Bont - January 2014

Discussion in 'Industrial Sites' started by Yorrick, Feb 1, 2014.

  1. Yorrick

    Yorrick 28DL Regular User
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2012
    Messages:
    553
    Likes Received:
    440

    Leri Mills was one of Ceredigion’s first woolen mills. It was built from around 1809 on the site of a former (pre-Elizabethan) lead smelting works.

    The mill consisted of several buildings – 2 tweed mills, a spinning and carding shed, a wool / washing shed, a dye shed and a craft shop.

    Initially the tweed was sold locally to farmers and miners nut for at least the last thirty years of operation the mill was open to the public,
    with demonstrations of all of the processes on view, and most importantly a shop that sold tweed,
    garthen (a tapestry used as a bed covering), rugs and postcards.
    The rise of foreign travel in the late seventies led to a fairly rapid decline in business (sic).

    The mill finally stopped trading in April 1981 and was initially put on the market for £150,000.
    A buyer wasn’t found and the mill remains in the family that ran it from at least 1950.


    Most of the buildings are still standing – just, with most of the equipment still in situ.

    As we were coming out of top mill we met the owner who, after being pissed off with us “trespassersâ€￾
    for about 20 seconds, invited us in for a much needed coffee and a chat, supplied some of the history
    above and also the archive photos included below. (Copyright Leri Mills)

    Visited with Eeka and a non-member.


    1.jpg


    2.jpg


    3.jpg


    4.jpg


    5.jpg


    6.jpg


    7.jpg


    8.jpg


    9.jpg


    10.jpg


    11.jpg


    12.jpg


    13.jpg


    14.jpg


    Tom James and Will Richards at the Carding set in 1935

    15.jpg



    16.jpg


    17.jpg


    18.jpg


    19.jpg


    The wheel at top mill, just visible beneath the ivy

    20.jpg


    And the same wheel in 1930

    21.jpg


    The leat for top mill runs between the buildings

    22.jpg


    23.jpg


    Bill Morgan at Llofft Mule 1958

    24.jpg


    And the same room now.

    25.jpg
     
    jST likes this.

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in