1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Our Lady's Convent School –Kettering –2011

Discussion in 'Other Sites' started by Skeleton key, Dec 14, 2011.

  1. Skeleton key

    Skeleton key 28DL Regular User
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010
    Messages:
    141
    Likes Received:
    32


    The original property was owned by Charles Wicksteed.
    Hence it was originally known as wicksteeds house
    charleswicksteed.jpg
    He was an inventor, designer , manufacturer and a man of ideas ahead of his time.
    cw2.jpg

    It was designed by architect/architectural historian John Alfred Gotch .
    The site consisted of a number of buildings as more added in the 1900-1926
    Both of which are now grade two listed.
    Charles died in 1931 and in the early 40’s the property was used as a convent when his house became the home of Ursuline nuns.
    Another wing which housed dormitory rooms was added
    Then again in the 1960’s a Chapel as well as a two storey building providing common rooms as well as bed rooms.
    Finally in the 1970’s a hall and class room block was built.
    The site has changed hands several times, but has always been used for religious and educational purposes; the Sisters of Our Lady resided there for over 50 years.
    But it finally closed its doors in 2003 and as sat derelict for a number of years while its future was descided.
    Developers have now demolished all the above in red as we were to discover as we negitiated around the rubble.
    The Chapel and the listed buildings are to remain and four large houses are to be built on the 6.8 acre site coupled with the usual sweeteners that developers throw in to clinch the deal.
    The wheels grind on and so do the explores.
    So catch it whilst you can .
    There was plenty of ducking and diving early on as the workers were on site and we had to negotiate around them for an hour before thankfully they packed up and left.


    PICT0098.jpg
    Anyway on with the pics

    PICT0092.jpg

    PICT0124.jpg

    PICT0185.jpg

    PICT0189.jpg

    PICT0143.jpg

    PICT0170.jpg

    PICT0174.jpg

    PICT0165.jpg

    PICT0118.jpg



    PICT0133.jpg

    The Chapel

    PICT0202.jpg

    PICT0199.jpg

    PICT0100.jpg

    PICT0111.jpg

    PICT0105.jpg

    PICT0101.jpg

    PICT0140.jpg

    PICT0162.jpg

    PICT0193.jpg

    PICT0188.jpg

    PICT0192.jpg


    PICT0121.jpg

    Thanks for looking in SK :)​
     

    Attached Files:

    Jim dale rowl likes this.

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in