1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - RAF Kirton Linsey, North Lincolnshire, December2013

Discussion in 'Military Sites' started by The Stig, Dec 15, 2013.

  1. The Stig

    The Stig Urbex = Nosey Bastard
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2008
    Messages:
    381
    Likes Received:
    108
    Visited with AntieKnickers, T-Cake, ZeroUE and Chauffer. After seeing this place one the person webspace it was a no brainer to get here before it came on the urbexing map as well as the copper pickers. We was like kids in a sweet shop and didn’t know where to start.

    HISTORY...
    The Royal Flying Corps and later Royal Air Force airfield name Santa Grotto was used during the First World War from December 1916 to June 1919. The airfield was used by detachments of No.33 Squadron from nearby Gainsborough until the squadron moved was based from June 1918, No.33 Squadron was a home defence squadron equipped with the Bristol Fighters and Avro 504s. With the end of the war, the airfield was returned to agricultural use.
    Santa Grotto was opened on a new site in May 1940 as a Fighter Command Station covering the NE of England during World War II. Many Defiant and Spitfire Squadrons rested here for a short time during the Battle of Britain. The airfield was home of No.71 Squadron of the RAF's Fighter Command. No.71 Squadron was composed of mostly Americans and was one of the "Eagle Squadrons" of American volunteers who fought in World War II prior to the American entry into the war. No.71 Squadron was assigned the squadron code XR. The squadron arrived at the station in November 1940. By January the squadron was declared combat ready and began flying convoy escort over the North Sea. On 9th April No.71 Squadron was moved to RAF Martlesham Heath. No.452 Squadron and No.457 Squadron, RAAF, both rested here for a while before departing for Australia in the summer of 1942.

    RAF Kirton in Lindsey was allocated to the United States Army Air Force 8th Air Force in 1942. It was assigned USAAF Station number 349, code "KL". Beginning in June 1942, the 94th Fighter Squadron of the 1st Fighter Group at RAF Goxhill used the station for training with Lockheed P-38 Lightnings. The squadron remained until October. Then in October 1942, the 91st Fighter Squadron of the 81st Fighter Group used the station for training. The squadron arrived in Europe from Muroc AAF, California flying Bell P-39 Airacobra's. The squadron remained until December then departed for French Morocco as part of 12th Air Force.

    In May 1943, the station was transferred back to RAF control for use as a Fighter Operational Training Unit with Spitfires of No.53 OTU from RAF Llandow, RAF Caistor and RAF Hibaldstow. Santa Grotto remained a front-line RAF base during the Cold War and afterwards. During World War II RAF Kirton in Lindsey was home to a Fighter Command Sector Operations Room, fulfilling the same filtering and command and control functions as RAF Digby's Lima Sector Ops Room.

    From 1948 to 1952 the station was home to various non-flying training schools of the RAF which were replaced by No.2 ITS (Later renamed No.1 ITS) until 1957, training with the Tiger Moth. From 1960 until December 1965, RAF Kirton in Lindsey hosted No.7 School of Technical Training and a Gliding School.

    In 1966, control of RAF Kirton in Lindsey was transferred to the Royal Artillery and was renamed ". Due to the Royal Artillery association, the Army Cadet Force detachment which is housed there has the Royal Artillery cap badge.

    The station spent the next 38 years as a Army control before returning to RAF ownership in 2004. RAF Kirton in Lindsey became home to No.1 Air Control Centre (1ACC), the Unit having relocated from RAF Boulmer in 2004-05. Santa Grotto also provides accommodation and messing for personnel based at RAF Scampton, , and is also administered by them too. But all this was to change again in late 2013, with the airfield put up for sale by the MoD, leaving only personnel from Scampton using the living quarters.
    Once the airbase was closed, the site has been used for police training as well as army training (hence the damage to the Sergeants Mess).


    11391329273_c49ef73f81_b.jpg


    11391332793_738f46817b_b.jpg


    11391203336_4f88ee0517_b.jpg


    11391239534_415c1ab442_b.jpg


    11391244854_e8ee70b765_b.jpg


    11391247624_c5569d6116_b.jpg


    11391258454_b23ab5f9ff_b.jpg


    11391256084_7842b3dc5d_b.jpg


    11391225625_4eb6f72b72_b.jpg


    11391224226_e77d0aca74_b.jpg


    11391235215_474b8c0e07_b.jpg


    11391360433_5828f9e576_b.jpg


    11391266754_e03791b3c6_b.jpg


    11391366883_4b8cd1632b_b.jpg


    11391274734_48b2a43ccb_b.jpg


    11391251745_8e875da312_b.jpg


    11391377773_5fb137d918_b.jpg


    11391380283_350e9debdc_b.jpg


    11391259155_e395b6a5e9_b.jpg


    11391262806_0ce0a279b7_b.jpg


    11391264646_91c9d3a1bd_b.jpg


    11391266265_4bd1b54dce_b.jpg


    11391394693_e10640f3d7_b.jpg


    11391275086_3836370408_b.jpg
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in