1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Riccarton Junction, Scottish Borders, June 2011

Discussion in 'Other Sites' started by Bovine, Jun 15, 2011.

  1. Bovine

    Bovine 28DL Regular User
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2008
    Messages:
    82
    Likes Received:
    29
    When the line between Carlisle and Edinburgh (The Waverley Line) opened in 1862, it was joined at Riccarton by the Border Counties railway from Hexham.
    Riccarton Junction was in a remote upland area and developed into a railway village, with 37 cottages, a school and a mission hall. The railway facilities expanded into extensive sidings, 2 signal boxes and an island platform with a bay for the Haxham trains. Having no road access, everything had to come and go by train, from coffins to children. The Hawick Co-op even had a shop in the station.
    Decline set in with the closure of the Hexham line in 1956 (goods in 1958). Electricity arrived in 1955, before which there was a gasworks. The Forestry Commission drove a road to the station in 1963, as part of their tree planting operations in the area, but families progressively moved out as the jobs disappeared. When the line closed in January 1969, the settlement was no more. The tracks were lifted by 1971, but some structures lingered until th 1980's. With the exception of the schoolmasters house, the whole area is now owned by the Forestry Commission, who use the trackbed as a logging road.
    A group called the Friends of Riccarton Junction was set up to restore the Station. The filled in platforms were dug out and track laid, but this ended in tears and criminal charges in 2006. Since then it has just been left, although the arrival of equipment during my visit heralded the removal of the track.
    It is a 3 mile walk to reach here from the nearest road!

    Clipboard03.jpg

    Clipboard04.jpg
    As it was, pics from Disused Stations website

    IMG_4775Small.jpg

    IMG_4795Small.jpg

    IMG_4769Small.jpg

    IMG_4772Small.jpg

    IMG_4783Small.jpg

    IMG_4777Small.jpg
    The only building left is the former Generator house. This was the headquarters of the Friends of Riccarton Junction and is empty!

    IMG_4778Small.jpg
    A large culvert crosses the site.

    IMG_4779Small.jpg
    Part of the site was built up with thousands of tons of ash. This was removed without planning permission and has dropped the ground level, so that this manhole looks like a chimney!

    IMG_4781Small.jpg
    Old water main


    IMG_4787Small.jpg
    Former Stationmasters house

    IMG_4792Small.jpg


    IMG_4789Small.jpg
    Kitchen sink

    IMG_4788Small.jpg

    IMG_4794Small.jpg
    Former Signalling cabinet

    IMG_4798Small.jpg
    Chipping bin, used to pack under sleepers to level them
     

    Attached Files:

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...
Similar Threads
  1. GRONK
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    3,071

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in