1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Rosebush Slate Quarry, Pembrokeshire, May 2013

Discussion in 'Mines and Quarries' started by PCWOX, May 31, 2013.

  1. PCWOX

    PCWOX 28DL Regular User
    Regular User

    Nov 6, 2012
    Likes Received:
    History borrowed from Landsker
    These quarries form a group of four substantial workings on the western slope of a spur to the south-west of Foelcwmcerwyn, immediately north of Rosebush village, at NGR SN079301. They comprise two quarries, Bellstone to the north and Rosebush to the south, each originally having their own dressing floors and tramway systems. Within each quarry there are two major working areas, and a number of small trials; and each of the major workings exhibits a different stage of development.
    Of the two quarries, Bellstone was the first to be opened up. Originally known as the Prescelly Quarry it was first worked in December 1825. By 1840 it had expanded to such an extent that it was necessary to divert the track, running north below the quarries to Bwlch Pennant, which was being overrun by the spoilheaps. Working continued intermittently to the 1860s when the name Bellstone was first used, and on a more intensive level through the 1870s and 80s when it had the benefit of the railway built to serve the Rosebush Quarry. The last company to work Bellstone was dissolved in 1891.
    Rosebush Quarry had commenced operating by 1842 and was developed extensively from the 1860s onwards. The lessee of the quarry was instrumental in the construction of the railway from Clynderwen, through Maenclochog, to the site in the 1870s; and the working peak probably came in the years immediately after its opening in 1876. The development of the settlement of Rosebush, with its terrace of cottages and manager's house, also dates from this period. Intermittent working then followed through to the end of the century. The railway subsequently became part of the North Pembrokeshire line to Fishguard, and the railway buildings remained in use for a number of years after the closure of the quarry.
    Visited with a non member (my brother)








    This pool is very popular with wild swimmers






    Sadly, no waders, would like to have seen how far this stretched...







    Attached Files:

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in