1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Sheffield Court House - May 15

Discussion in 'Other Sites' started by Funlester, Aug 4, 2015.

  1. Funlester

    Funlester The Fun One
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2015
    Messages:
    128
    Likes Received:
    132
    Home Page:
    Myself and @BrainL spent the day around Sheffield, 5 tried 5 entered.

    History -
    Sheffield Old Town Hall stands on Waingate in central Sheffield, England, opposite Castle Market.
    The building was commissioned to replace Sheffield's first town hall, which had opened in 1700 to a design by William Renny. This first structure stood by the parish church, on a site with little prospect for extension.
    The Old Town Hall was built in 1807–8 by Charles Watson, and was designed to house not only the Town Trustees but also the Petty and Quarter Sessions. The initial building was a five-bay structure fronting Castle Street, but it was extended in 1833 and again in 1866 by William Flockton (1804–1864) of Sheffield and his partner for the project, Abbott; the most prominent feature was the new central clock tower over a new main entrance that reoriented the building to Waingate. At the same time, the building's courtrooms were linked by underground passages to the neighbouring Sheffield Police Offices.
    Waingate in 1857: the Old Town Hall with its first clock tower on the left
    The first Town Council was elected in 1843 and took over the lease of the Town Trustees' hall in 1866. The following year, the building was extensively renovated, with a clock tower designed by Flockton & Abbott being added.
    By the 1890s, the building had again become too small, and the current Sheffield Town Hall was built further south. The Old Town Hall was again extended in 1896–97, by the renamed Flockton, Gibbs & Flockton, and became Sheffield Crown Court and Sheffield High Court. In the 1990s, these courts moved to new premises, and since at least 1997 to present, the building remains disused.
    In 2007, it was named by the Victorian Society as one of their top ten buildings most at-risk.

    16916559674_653098d9a8_k.jpg

    16918217573_fdd37fca8d_k.jpg

    17537201961_3269b3e661_k.jpg

    16916050253_2d095f7a05_k.jpg

    17536251925_cecee41b4d_k.jpg

    17508478826_fd14061ca6_k.jpg

    17346373690_7021816d60_k.jpg

    17346593880_f608ed5ad2_k.jpg

    17345125488_0cd2a18feb_k.jpg

    17529145662_111f3b426f_k.jpg

    17344223619_32ca26e3db_k.jpg

    16906888074_83098cb1b1_k.jpg

    17339319090_6c2371095a_k.jpg
     
    Vulex and Choo Choo m8ty like this.

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in