1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Sheffield Court House, Sheffield - March 2014

Discussion in 'Other Sites' started by AuntieKnickers, Mar 8, 2014.

  1. AuntieKnickers

    AuntieKnickers inquisitive historian
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2010
    Messages:
    423
    Likes Received:
    78
    Visted with The Stig, H1971, Altair, Ninja Womat and King Mongoose

    During the piss up we all agreed to meet early doors and head to the court house, after a few phone calls on the morning after and some very hungover tired arrivals we made our way to the courts. After an eventful access by the The Wombat aka Ninja Wombat we started off.

    History
    (courtesy of Wiki)

    The building was commissioned to replace Sheffield's first town hall, which had opened in 1700 to a design by William Renny. This first structure stood by the parish church, on a site with little prospect for extension.

    The Old Town Hall was built in 1807–8 by Charles Watson, and was designed to house not only the Town Trustees but also the Petty and Quarter Sessions. The initial building was a five-bay structure fronting Castle Street, but it was extended in 1833 and again in 1866 by William Flockton (1804–1864) of Sheffield and his partner for the project, Abbott; the most prominent feature was the new central clock tower over a new main entrance that reoriented the building to Waingate. At the same time, the building's courtrooms were linked by underground passages to the neighbouring Sheffield Police Offices.

    Waingate in 1857: the Old Town Hall with its first clock tower on the leftThe first Town Council was elected in 1843 and took over the lease of the Town Trustees' hall in 1866. The following year, the building was extensively renovated, with a clock tower designed by Flockton & Abbott being added.

    By the 1890s, the building had again become too small, and the current Sheffield Town Hall was built further south. The Old Town Hall was again extended in 1896–97, by the renamed Flockton, Gibbs & Flockton, and became Sheffield Crown Court and Sheffield High Court. In the 1990s, these courts moved to new premises, and since at least 1997 to present, the building remains disused.

    In 2007, it was named by the Victorian Society as one of their top ten buildings most at-risk.

    13011335323_e43fba4648_b.jpg


    13011591744_5f2473deac_b.jpg


    13011201105_66085edee5_b.jpg


    13011209675_ac07ce5e36_b.jpg


    13011212415_00f1df5f31_b.jpg


    13011604594_b4453aab03_b.jpg


    13011373853_64ca4bea9e_b.jpg


    13011224475_6ddf5d09aa_b.jpg


    13011230595_453111b352_b.jpg


    13011627044_cbce29339d_b.jpg


    13011397223_0699c56f7d_b.jpg


    13011410143_19232bbc45_b.jpg


    13011412323_ee62d3c373_b.jpg


    13011582994_fb5c8394cf_b.jpg


    13011580184_2ec08958b1_b.jpg


    13011574764_5072c92d9a_b.jpg


    13011184015_83716c4da0_b.jpg


    thanks for looking :thumb
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in