1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Sheffield Crown Courts - June 2013

Discussion in 'Other Sites' started by RichPDG, Jul 3, 2013.

  1. RichPDG

    RichPDG 28DL Regular User
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2012
    Messages:
    173
    Likes Received:
    102
    The building was commissioned to replace Sheffield's first town hall, which had opened in 1700 to a design by William Renny. This first structure stood by the parish church, on a site with little prospect for extension.

    The Old Town Hall was built in 1807–8 by Charles Watson, and was designed to house not only the Town Trustees but also the Petty and Quarter Sessions. The initial building was a five-bay structure fronting Castle Street, but it was extended in 1833 and again in 1866 by William Flockton (1804-1864) of Sheffield and his partner for the project, Abbott; the most prominent feature was the new central clock tower over a new main entrance that reoriented the building to Waingate. At the same time, the building's courtrooms were linked by underground passages to the neighbouring Sheffield Police Offices.

    The first Town Council was elected in 1843 and took over the lease of the Town Trustees' hall in 1866. The following year, the building was extensively renovated, with a clock tower designed by Flockton & Abbott being added.

    By the 1890s, the building had again become too small, and the current Sheffield Town Hall was built further south. The Old Town Hall was again extended in 1896-7, by the renamed Flockton, Gibbs & Flockton, and became Sheffield Crown Court and Sheffield High Court. In the 1990s, these courts moved to new premises, and since at least 1997 to present, the building remains disused.

    In 2007, it was named by the Victorian Society as one of their top ten buildings most at-risk.

    Was really good to finally get this one done, The early start was 100% worth it and there was lots to see! Visited with Night Vizion.

    9192006709_9a01139426_c.jpg

    9191987543_7a84000444_c.jpg

    9194879292_fa10bc5dc3_c.jpg

    9194910320_dbeb6589a3_c.jpg

    9192226941_df113e5e02_c.jpg

    9192240335_dea69abcf6_c.jpg

    9192296931_3cc0403df7_c.jpg

    9192335537_b5bd7ce7f9_c.jpg

    9195106306_8c48553c9b_c.jpg

    9195192338_a9ac7c1d2b_c.jpg

    9194209417_c3db089988_c.jpg

    9195221568_e1a85c76d8_c.jpg

    9195394174_c7fe66250b_c.jpg

    9194154053_9d192254d1_c.jpg

    9196987194_514d15d248_c.jpg

    9194750992_2264ac4d70_c.jpg
     

    Attached Files:

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in