Greenside Tunnel - 618 Yards
— G.N.R PUDSEY & LOW MOOR BRANCH —
In 1882 the Great Northern Railway & Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway entered into an agreement to build a series of short connections to existing railways with a view of improving existing services through mutual running of the...
Birkdale High School
Visited January 2022
The school’s building was built into two phases, one bit which was formerly the Wheelwright All Girls Grammer School which then had a bridge built over to the other phase in 1980 which was for both genders.
When entering the former all girls school you...
Queensbury Tunnel, Bradford - January 2022
The 2,501 yard long Queensbury Tunnel connects Holmfield and Queensbury in West Yorkshire, England, built by the Great Northern Railway (GNR) it was the longest on the company's network at the time of its opening in 1878, In 1882...
As I live quite local to this place and now it has the green light for demolition for new houses, we decided it would be a good time to visit.
No security or Dogs appeared to be on-site, but was unable to find our way into the main compound due to nosey neighbours, settled for the smaller...
Lees Moor Tunnel - 1,533yds.
Lees Moor Tunnel is a long abandoned railway tunnel on the former Great Northern Railway line between Queensbury and Keighley in West Yorkshire, The former dual track Tunnel is just north of the Cullingworth, Reports suggest the due to the pitch black darkness...
Clayton Tunnel - May 2021.
Constructed in 1874, the 1,057yd Clayton Tunnel in West Yorkshire was part of the Great Northern Railways Bradford - Queensbury & Bradford - Keighley routes, unfortunately during construction in 1874 two workers suffered fatal injuries caused by an intoxicated...
Barnsdale Tunnel - West Yorkshire, July 2020.
Situated on the Hull & Barnsley railway, the 1226 yard Barnsdale Tunnel was opened on the 20th July 1885, westbound traffic would emerge from the tunnel and head towards Wrangbrook Jn which was the diverging point for the Wath & Denaby branch lines...
WAPPING ROAD FIRST SCHOOL
- Bradford, England
- June 2020
Wapping Road First School is a Victorian-era Grade II listed building which opened in Bradford in 1877 as a 'board school' under William Edward Forster's Education Act of 1970.
The school’s distinguished 123-year history saw...
(aka T&D Industries office building)
- Bradford, England
- June 2020
T&D (Tanks and Drums) Industries PLC was founded in 1905, and the company's line of business included the manufacturing of metal shipping barrels, drums, kegs, pails, wheelie bins, plastic packaging...
Clifton Fever Hospital
Brighouse, West Yorkshire
In the summer of 1892, Brighouse became a ghost town. Streets were deserted, schools were closed and church attendances drastically plummeted. The reason for the panic was an epidemic of smallpox, the most dreaded of...
J S Jonas Ltd Premises
Opened in 1876 originally serving as a Victorian Sunday School, this Grade II listed building is located on the corner of Burnett Street and Upper Park Gate, part of the precinct known as 'Little Germany' in the centre of...
Chantry House.Wakefield has been empty since it shut in 2006 as former council tax and highways building.
A planning application has been drawn up requesting permission to change the use of Chantry House from offices to one and two bedroom “residential units”.
The application has been...
Rose Court building was is situated on the same site and the main senior school Leeds Girls High School building. Rose Court was purchased by the High School in 1912 and before this functioned as a private residence. Built of stone construction in a Georgian design the building...
The remains of the Monk Bridge Viaduct run parallel to Whitehall Road on the other side of Holbeck. It was originally built as an access route into the old Leeds Central Station, which stood on the site of the Wellington Place office development, and carried the railway over both the...
London North Western Railway built the viaduct in 1882 to bypass the congested lines leading to the present-day Leeds Station. It's 1,500 yards long and has 82 arches. The track remains on one side of a gate erected by Network Rail. Trains stopped running on the line in 1988, but the...
Very Brief History:
Originally built in 1829 as a mill. Dobroyd Ltd was founded within the mill in 1919. The mill then closed in 1974. It then re-opened in 1976 under John Woodhead Ltd spinners. Until recent years it housed several small almost 'pop-up' businesses (pictured) including a classic...
Unfortunately, I do not know the exact history of this exploration, however, it was an active fabric mill until 2003! After Dawson's went into liquidation. When we got home we found out that the business has been up for sale since then.
Our Version Of Events:
So our trip started on an...