1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - "Terry's" April 2011

Discussion in 'Industrial Sites' started by Gh0sT, Apr 19, 2011.

  1. Gh0sT

    Gh0sT 28DL Full Member
    28DL Full Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2011
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    7
    Visited with HappyShopper and The Invisibleman.

    History :

    Joseph Terry, who was born in Pocklington, came to York to serve as an apprentice apothecary in Stonegate, before setting up shop as a chemist in Walmgate. His life took a different turn in 1823 when he married Harriet Atkinson, a relative of Robert Berry who had a small confectionery business. He gave up his Walmgate operation and joined Berry business in St Helen’s Square.

    Shortly afterwards Robert Berry died and his son George joined with Joseph in a businees with the wonderful name of Terry & Berry - unfortunately George left the business in 1828.

    Joseph Terry was on his own, and soon enjoyed a reputation for cakes and comfits, sugared sweets, candied peel, marmalade and medicated lozenges. He quickly made use of the railways, sending small quantities of his products to towns all over the North of England, into the Midlands and down to Luton and London.

    By the time of his death in 1850, the Terry name was becoming known around Britain. It was his son, Joseph junior, who built on these foundations and expanded it into a major concern.

    Within four years of taking over, Joseph leased a riverside site at Clementhorpe. The Ouse allowed a connection to the Humber estuary and the North Sea. Twice a week, the steam packet brought the sugar, cocoa, other ingredients and coal needed for the new steam-powered machinery at Joseph Terry & Sons.

    The price list of 1867 had 400 items but, at the time, only 13 were chocolate. As products were perfected and demand grew, a specialised chocolate section was built. The St Helen’s Square premises were retained as a shop and restaurant (the Terry name is still on the front of the building).

    In 1926, Terry’s moved again, to a purpose-built factory off Bishopthorpe Road. It was here that some of the most enduring brands were created: All Gold was first produced in 1930, the Chocolate Orange a year later.

    Terry’s was taken over by multinational food corporation Kraft in 1993, which closed the York factory on September 30, 2005, with production moving to other plants in Europe.

    DSC_0511800x531.jpg

    DSC_0516800x594.jpg

    DSC_0529800x531.jpg

    DSC_0488800x531.jpg

    DSC_0522531x800.jpg DSC_0523531x800.jpg

    DSC_0533800x531.jpg

    DSC_0534800x531.jpg

    DSC_0525800x531.jpg

    DSC_0545800x531.jpg

    DSC_0558531x800.jpg DSC_0499531x800.jpg

    DSC_0481800x531.jpg

    It got a bit congested here !!!

    DSC_0462800x531.jpg

    DSC_0475800x531.jpg

    DSC_0459531x800.jpg DSC_0485531x800.jpg

    Thanks for Looking :thumb
     

    Attached Files:

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in