real time web analytics
Report - - 1 Blackfriars Crane - 18th March 2016 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - 1 Blackfriars Crane - 18th March 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Minesweeper

28DL Member
28DL Member
My first report, so I apologise for the lack of detail, and the smartphone photography.
Situated on the previous site of Sainsbury's Headquarters, 1 Blackfriars is a multi-purpose development that will comprise living accommodation as well as public spaces and a hotel. The finished build will reach 170m, at 52 storeys. On the site will also be 2 additional buildings of 4 and 6 storeys. The original proposal was for 68 storeys, reaching 225m, but due to opposition from local authorities was later revised.
Artist's impression: (Shameless Wiki Photo)
250px-Beetham_London_Towerbdd60.jpg

I’d been up in London last week and had a little look at this. Pretty busy area although the actual entrance was quiet, and a quick walk around the perimeter showed no signs of security, except a lot of cameras and floodlights. Found a nice little gap in the fence opposite a deep doorway, so hid in there and then slipped through one by one. Getting to the base of the crane was much harder than it had to be, as we walked passed some stairs down to it without seeing them. Nonetheless we found a way to climb into the basement and we got down to it okay. There were some floodlights relatively near the bottom so we climbed pretty darn quick to try and get past them.
Made it to the top to find some cracking views of London. Unfortunately none of us have any kind of decent camera equipment so camera phone shots will have to do.
And then things went downwards...literally.
Within a minute of reaching the top we could hear sirens, and we decided to get out of there. Halfway down the crane when the first marked police car pulled into the site entrance and 2 officers get out to stand and watch us climb down. Went through the basement to the stairs we should have come down hoping to slip back out of the fence we came in. By this time however the site was surrounded and as soon as we made ground level were stopped by a plain clothed officer. Came out nice and slow as backup arrived. All in all we got 6 cars, 2 Vans and a Helicopter. All 3 of us searched and details taken etc. Explained what we were up to, showed them pictures etc. Apparently there’s a big burglary problem in the area and they thought we were after tools. Umm'd and Err’d over whether to caution us for entering enclosed premises, but something came over the radio and they let us go. Couple of the undercover cars went round the block to check we were leaving and then we were left alone.
All in all, not a bad first explore experience and we were left rather buzzing afterwards. Were going to take a GoPro but it had stopped working, typically.
Pictures then:
Obligatory urban explorer silhouette photo:
IMG_20160319_005352f5936.jpg

Heading up the tower, taken on the move hence blur:
IMG_20160319_175535388df.jpg

Approaching the top of the London Eye. Top of the crane was about 500ft, 50ft or so above the eye.
IMG_20160319_00492281aac.jpg

Looking North towards the river:
IMG_20160319_005540efd36.jpg

Blackfriar's Bridge from above:
received_126394939361980242544.jpg

Looking up the boom, unfortunately the ladder only went another 10 or so up:
IMG_20160319_005742031dc.jpg

Like I said it’s my first shot at a report so constructive feedback welcome, other than the poor photos as I’d love to have been able to get something decent up there.
-Minesweeper.

Last edited:

Monkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Give it a good few months and this place could turn into a decent climb. After seeing the shit that kicked off next door I can't be too surprised. Let the race begin. :thumb I hope they bring the snappy dogs on site to make the whole thing a lot more interesting, bit bored of hopping a fence :D

Minesweeper

28DL Member
28DL Member
Give it a good few months and this place could turn into a decent climb. After seeing the shit that kicked off next door I can't be too surprised. Let the race begin. :thumb I hope they bring the snappy dogs on site to make the whole thing a lot more interesting, bit bored of hopping a fence :D
Absolutely. The main builds nearly up to full height, and the plod told us we'd been seen going up the tower. If you were inside I reckon you could spend all night up there without interruption.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Don't forget the cans :rolleyes

stonemonkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one dude and good effort.:thumb Iv started useing my go pro for pics at height, they look good. And can get you going till you sort a decent camera.