real time web analytics
Report - - 1936 Olympic Village, Elstal (Outside Berlin) | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - 1936 Olympic Village, Elstal (Outside Berlin)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

BeGood

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited with TheMissus

As I was in Berlin for the Marathon and with this being an Olympic year, it would have been rude not to visit the 1936 Olympic Village.

Here's some short history:

"The creation of a separate housing area for the great number of athletes attending the Olympic Games was first attempted in Los Angeles in 1932. Four years later, at the XIth Olympiad in Berlin, the concept was further developed with the construction of a ‘village’ in the Brandenburg countryside, just 14 kilometers from the Olympic Stadium.

During WW2 the cabins and cottages were converted to an infantry training facility for the German troops, and after the war’s end the Soviet and East German military occupied the site until 1992."

We didn't actually intend to 'explore' as such, the main part of the Olympic Village is open to tourists for a 2 Euro fee (and a gouging 10 Euros for cameras). But courtesy of a ridiculously late platform alteration at Berlin Hauptbahnhof and Google mislabelling where the Village was, we ended up being at completely the wrong end of the site.

TheMissus went into the verboten area to have a wee, and I saw some derelicts buildings and couldn't resist following her in.

I am not sure what the buildings would have been, they were completely stripped out. There were 40,000 Soviet troops in this area at one point, so I would imagine these are linked to those.

IMG_7016.jpg

IMG_6996.jpg

IMG_6997.jpg

IMG_6999.jpg

IMG_7000.jpg

IMG_7001.jpg

IMG_7008.jpg

IMG_7004.jpg

IMG_7005.jpg

IMAG1026.jpg

IMG_7007.jpg

IMG_7010.jpg

IMG_7009.jpg

IMG_7013.jpg

IMG_7015.jpg

We also eventually found our way to the actual Village part, so here it is.

USA Villas

IMG_7026.jpg

IMG_7020.jpg

IMAG1029.jpg

Jesse Owens' Room

IMG_7023.jpg

The "Eating-House of Nations"

IMG_7028.jpg

IMG_7036.jpg

IMG_7041.jpg

IMAG1041.jpg

IMG_7039.jpg

Training Pool

IMG_7042.jpg

Running Track with pool in the background

IMG_7045.jpg

It's been ages since I did any exploring at all, it was nice to be back on it even if it was a bit light on hazard.

Thanks for looking,
BeGood

Last edited: