real time web analytics
Report - - 1st Report- W W Laycock & Sons - Sheffield - March 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - 1st Report- W W Laycock & Sons - Sheffield - March 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JaneEyre

The clumsiest explorer in Yorkshire!
28DL Full Member
So whilst waiting for a train I decided to go get a cheeseburger and instead found myself having a look round this old sweetie.

Sadly only got to have a look in the downstairs of the main building before a lovely BB guy nearly made me schnitzel myself and politely informed me

A) that the place was unsafe and he was here to clean up the rest of the needles
B) he hadn't seen me :thumb
and C) that I probably had somewhere else to be

So a big thanks for him for not being a meanie and telling me off!

W W Laycock and Sons: Incorporated 1963- Dissolved 2000

This was once a part of Sheffield's thriving steel business but had sadly spent that last decade as a hot spot for the homeless and (after seeing older photos and posts) a den for those who prefer a pointy but inject-able way of life. It seems to have been part of a big clean up mission as of late and I can't tell if they intend to knock it down or use it for something else but they are definitely doing something with it (hence the contractor)
The site itself is quite big and it seems most of the buildings connected to a (now rather overgrown and barbed wired off) courtyard.

Sadly not much left on the first floor, just lots of peely paint, a dead fox and some massive piles of paperwork that I didn't a decent chance to photograph :(
Looked like the second might be more interesting as are the other buildings so intend to revisit at some point

Two shots from outside

WP_20140320_005_zps2b6c40f8.gif

View attachment 583570

Hummmm wonder what the smell is... oh *vom* dead fox!

View attachment 583571

Quite impressed the clock is still working after all this time! Or it is permanently set to 9am :D

View attachment 583572

Stuff clearly being piled up for the clean up effort, there were sleeping bags and tables and all sorts in there

View attachment 583573

Out to the courtyard!

View attachment 583574

Not sure if this was the workers many years ago or someone else but it made me chuckle

View attachment 583575

Peely paint and big old windows make a happy JaneEyre :)

View attachment 583576

Stairs and hallway, found it really cool how the stairs had curved with use (clearly years of people clomping up and down them)

View attachment 583577

Better shot of the stairs, (sadly this was the last shot I got before the little chat)

View attachment 583578

Hope this is ok for a first report, I tried to pick the best photos, there were a few more but sadly not all were as clear as I would have liked!

Merci
JaneEyre xx

wellingtonian

Subterráneo
Regular User
Well done, good report. And you found a clocking in/out station with the clock intact. That's a winner for me :thumb

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice work, a very beautiful place which is in essence very intact and a rare survivor. It gets overlooked as it is a fetted crack den in places.

You should check the lofts ;)

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details