real time web analytics
Question - - 4Gas Detectors | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - 4Gas Detectors

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
I was toying with picking up a used detector off Ebay or somewhere to use in the deeper bunkers, mines and fuel depots etc. Places where there might be bad air and nasty gases present. Not something I'd given much thought of before, but given that I'm likely to be exploring bigger and deeper underground derps, its probably worth a look at.

I know virually nothing about these and need some pointers. I know brand new they £400 upwards and they have to be kept calibrated.

I've seen lots of second hand detectors for sale on ebay pretty cheap, some near the £50 mark, and i've been quite tempted to be honest. Would I just be able to buy the calibration gas and just keep it calibrated myself, or is that a bad idea?

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I was toying with picking up a used detector off Ebay or somewhere to use in the deeper bunkers, mines and fuel depots etc. Places where there might be bad air and nasty gases present. Not something I'd given much thought of before, but given that I'm likely to be exploring bigger and deeper underground derps, its probably worth a look at.

I know virually nothing about these and need some pointers. I know brand new they £400 upwards and they have to be kept calibrated.

I've seen lots of second hand detectors for sale on ebay pretty cheap, some near the £50 mark, and i've been quite tempted to be honest. Would I just be able to buy the calibration gas and just keep it calibrated myself, or is that a bad idea?
Is this for this weekend!? Hahaha!

I’ve been in, spent a few hours there, even smoked a few rollups despite your warning, and lived to tell the tale...

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
Haha, nah not for this weekend specifically. Been eyeing up some Euro locations that are a bit more mental where you'd really want to have one.

cunningcorgi

28DL Regular User
Regular User

You can buy a calibration kit and technically keep your 4 gas calibrated...might need a bit of practice though to make sure you are doing it correctly and you'll also need access to the software for the 4 gas to ensure that the calibration registers (which you might not get with a second hand model). Also depends on the make / model you get. If you don't go down the DIY calibration route, you can get a 12 month calibration for about £45.

A second hand 4 gas is basically like a second hand car - it will more than likely do what you want it to do but you can never be quite sure where it has been before you got it, i.e. was it bashed to shite, were parts replaced or more importantly, were parts not replaced, etc. Also need to consider what you get with the second hand model, i.e. all software, docking station / leads to recharge the unit, etc.

All depends what use you will be putting the 4 gas to really. If you think you will be using it on a fairly regular basis, I'd seriously consider getting a new unit. For the peace of mind, if nothing else.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Just bear in mind a second hand one will probably need calibrating it’s not that expensive but needs doing every 6 months.

The biggest issue you have buying second hand is mostly the oxygen sensor has probably expired or near to expiration and they can be costly.

I’ll give you an example, I recently took 2 of my Tetra 3’s to be calibrated. The o2 sensor had expired on the older one, and the cost of the sensor was something like £130 and around 25-30 for calibration. It wasn’t worth the expense considering I can get a brand new tetra 4 for around £300.

Some o2 sensors for other makes/models are even more expensive especially some of the cheaper ones on the market.

It’s all about the running costs with these things, but I wouldn’t go anywhere with potential oxygen or gas issues without it so to me it’s a justified cost.

Polominto73

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
For sale 1 used canary is that any use too you mate? On a serious note I would go for a new one at least that way you know it's history and treatment we sometimes get issued with ones think their dragers same make as the b.a gear they quite good

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Got an Altair 4x off ebay for £100, including the charger and has three months left on its calibration. Tested it and it works great. You just got to keep an eye out for good ones.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Got an Altair 4x off ebay for £100, including the charger and has three months left on its calibration. Tested it and it works great. You just got to keep an eye out for good ones.

The o2 sensors aren’t cheap for them

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User

That's a pretty good price for one of them. It's a good point about replaceble parts though, didn't realise the sensors wear out.

I found some of these 'AS8900' type monitors for about £150 new, but they seem like bottom of the barrel cheap. But I don't know if cheap new is better than cheap used.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338268405&icep_item=163109067353

Or I just cough up the dough and get a decent brand one.

Last edited:

tigger

mog
Regular User
If you are buying one because you NEED one then don't buy some random thing off an auction site. You have absolutely no idea whether it actually works correctlty so you are going to have to spend around 40-50 quid to have it tested (and calibrated IF it can be). In all likleyhood the O2 sensor will be goosed and you'll have to add another 130-170 quid to have that replaced.
Even if the unit had been sitting in a box unused for three years (for a Crowcon) the O2 sensor will be dead or soon will be. If it's been used in a harsh environment it will die more quickly.
The Altair O2 sensors are good for about four years but cost a little bit more.
No idea about cost of owning other makes as I use Crowcon and Altair. I have mine checked over and calibrated every six months.

Expensive? Fully agree with Ojay about the cost being justified

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
I looked into those. Cheap chinese tat & no reviews available online.

I suspected so, I'll try and find a nearly new one on ebay. Found a few already that are good known makes that are almost brand new and a decent price. Not planning to go anywhere where I'd need one till next year at least so I've got time to keep an eye out for one.

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
28DL Full Member
Coincidentally I was just browsing ebay and wondered if anyone had ever got one of those cheapo chinese piece of crap devices and what they were like/if they're actually somewhat reliable. I'm going to guess absolute shite.

FWIW I picked up a pretty much like new MSA Altair 4XR about 5/6 months ago for like £185, I think it just sat on a shelf for 6 months before being sold on to me via ebay :rolleyes: I used it out of cal for a while, still worked fine and I've just this week finally got it back from its first calibration in my ownership. Yeah, overall with the calibration they're not cheap but its potentially life saving equipment and in the grand scheme of things a small price to pay.