real time web analytics
Report - - 65m high Union Carbide Chimney | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - 65m high Union Carbide Chimney

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

M

Munky

Hi there everyone - first report.
Ever since I was a small boy I'd been wanting to do this chimney. Union Carbide was an enormous site set in the woods over the road from Middlewood in Sheffield. Being a Sheffield climber I would see these four grand chimneys on my drive north to the crags at Wharncliffe. Non of my climbing buddies were interested in doing it though. Then someone recommend this site 28days to me, a little bit of networking and bobs your uncle a climbing partner emerged in the form of Stepping Lightly. Here are some pictures of the chimneys

pic5.jpg

pic1.jpg

It was a fantastically clear evening when we set off to do the chimney. As it was my dream to do this, I climbed it first and brought up Stepping Lightly.

P5140061.jpg

(picture courtesy of stepping lightly)

The views from the top were quite spectacular and because the chimney is on its own (i.e. not surrounded by buildings) its really awesome to be there, you feel humble.

P5140070.jpg

P5140076.jpg

P5140073.jpg

P5140075.jpg

It surprised us both that the chimney was as high as it was at 65m almost ran out of rope! I also got a little pumped as at the very top it gets steeper as you negotiate a bulge. The height of the chimney meant we had to down climb as we didn't have enough rope to abseil. A nice stroll back through the woods and away - no bother! I could get into this urban climbing caper :)

IMG_4235.jpg

NB: We used rope and safety equipment throughout this climb.

Urbulon

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
WTF!? in 12 YEARS only 2 people have read this? Must be some mistake with the stats surely!
Anyhoo I used to visit this site regularly, its where they used to make Ever Ready batteries, until they moved production to some shithole country as have any other manufs you care to mention who used to make things here.

Nice post!!! Many thanks buddy! :thumb

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
WTF!? in 12 YEARS only 2 people have read this? Must be some mistake with the stats surely!
Anyhoo I used to visit this site regularly, its where they used to make Ever Ready batteries, until they moved production to some shithole country as have any other manufs you care to mention who used to make things here.

Nice post!!! Many thanks buddy! :thumb

the tables only retain the data for so many day's

Aaron89

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very nice. Strange this has popped back up after all this time, when I went and did this about 2 weeks ago.

Who has read this thread (Total: 170) View details