real time web analytics
A few photos of the demolition of RAF Beachy Head | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

A few photos of the demolition of RAF Beachy Head

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Hessian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
http://dlpl.org/buildings-places?album=7&gallery=39&show=gallery
In 1950 an underground "Air Ministry Radio Station" was constructed on 4 acres of land on the cliff top at Beachy Head. It was in fact part of atop secret Early Warning (CEW) system which remained part of Britain’s defence capabilities until it close a decade later. One Sunday in late September 1963, members of the Demolition team of the 21st SAS Territorial Regiment started to clear the surface buildings. The buildings proved to be stronger than first expected so the team packed in more explosives and tried again. Demolition had to be abandoned until the next day when the manager of the nearby Hotel complained that his windows had cracked. The task of clearing the remaining buildings at this stage was taken over by a local demolition company. Not long after I had taken these photographs, the stairwell access behind the guardhouse was demolished and capped along with the emergency exit, humid air exit and the cable shaft. The only way into the bunker was via a small manhole set into the concrete slab placed over the stairwell. Access remained available to the bunker for a while but due to vandalism then final entrance was finally sealed with large tree trunk that was thrust into the hole by a JCB and back filled with chalk. Today tourists stand now upon the mound above the bunker unaware of the secret rooms and tunnels beneath their feet.

Just happened upon this set of photos while looking at something else on that site, thought it might be of interest to a few on here.

Last edited:

REEF

Getthegirlkillthebaddies
28DL Full Member
Hey Hessian, haven't heard from you in a while.

Wonder where the cable shaft is???

OliverT

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There's another down the road in Wartling if you want to save yourself some digging.

pauln

too old to be reckless
28DL Full Member
Very interesting photos. I don't believe the backfilled story - I have seen other stories on line that suggest there's an annual check of the underground space. I know at least one member here has checked a number of leads on this .... no success yet.

REEF

Getthegirlkillthebaddies
28DL Full Member
Very interesting photos. I don't believe the backfilled story - I have seen other stories on line that suggest there's an annual check of the underground space. I know at least one member here has checked a number of leads on this .... no success yet.

When are we going Paul? :)

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
Any one think these look cable shaftish ?

8234952138_62547d6c85_m.jpg

8234952088_b78654b8e0_m.jpg

REEF

Getthegirlkillthebaddies
28DL Full Member
No, I don't think so :(

I gave you my pictures of a cable shaft didn't I?

Just had a thought, did this one have a conveyor/lifter for the sewage like Truleigh?

Last edited:

Hessian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Any one think these look cable shaftish ?

What are we looking at here? Is the at the bottom of one of those nearby manholes? Lifted one of them and seemed to have a solid chalk backfill at the bottom.