real time web analytics
Report - - A Pair of Courts, Burton-on-Trent - 2017/2021 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - A Pair of Courts, Burton-on-Trent - 2017/2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Consolidation of the MoJ estate over the last decade or so has resulted in the closure of local courts all over the country, many being amalgamated into justice centre's covering larger regions. In Burton this resulted in the County Court closing in 2013, which has subsequently been converted into residential use. The Magistrates' Court closed three years later in 2016 and currently remains disused, although from what I understand it has been purchased by a developer.

County Court - 2017

The briefest of info from Historic England:
This courthouse was built in 1870. There is a carving with the Royal Arms on the edge of the roof.

Nice building to look at from the road, but internally this was pretty unremarkable. The only real feature was a nice staircase, and some of the detail within the court room itself.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Magistrates' Court - 2021

Archive image/info from my standard resource Staffordshire Past Track.
Horninglow Street Magistrates' Courts, old and new, with the new Police Station on the right. The Court was built in 1907 and designed by Henry Beck, architect of Burton-upon-Trent.
This Image is from a collection of photographs of Burton upon Trent commissioned and assembled by Burton upon Trent Civic Society as a record of the town in the year 2000.
05.jpg

A much grander, flamboyant building both externally and internally than the County Court. The old portion of the building retained a lot of character and was enjoyable to wander around.

The modern extension is unnecessarily hideous. The site is neighboured by the Plough Maltings (which I believe is finally going to be "transformed") and the modern police station.

06.jpg

Inside the newer main entrance used to access all three courts.

07.jpg

First floor waiting room, despite my opinions of the building being awful I quite liked this bit.

08.jpg

The larger of the two modern courts, I didn't bother photographing the small family court as it literally just looked like a random office.

09.jpg

The original entrance hallway within the old courts building.

10.jpg

The entrance opens out on to this nice concourse area, ornate detailing's aplenty.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Nicely panelled pair of rooms, the second was originally another court room and sits underneath the large dome.

14.jpg

15.jpg

Up in the roof above the glazed ceiling of the main court room.

16.jpg

The main court room, relatively sympathetically modernised.

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
This is a lovely building. The outside yes is ornate. But that ceiling and the windows in the waiting area are beautiful. Cant help but admire proper court architecture. Very nice :thumb

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nicely done, should this b non public as mine last week? I know it's been about a bit if not admin please move mine to public.

Who has read this thread (Total: 185) View details