real time web analytics
Report - - A Welsh Iron Mine Bach! May 2010 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - A Welsh Iron Mine Bach! May 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

vwdirtboy

Keeuunnntt!
28DL Full Member
Although it looks like a mine it is in fact a quarry as it was worked originally from the surface making it an Iron quarry..

These workings were started around 1800 and worked on and off all the way up until 1884. The quarry has extensive workings and some massive chambers, most of which now are flooded.. The deepest parts are over 400ft and some of the upper chambers are over 120ft wide. The quarry was rediscovered in 2007 and has been extensively dived by the CDG, appropriate scaffold platforms have been installed to facilitate safe entry and exit from the immensely deep and dark water. Electric lighting has also been installed.

The Quarry seems to have broken into many natural formations and speleotherms, there are numerous gigantic Selenite geodes scattered all over the quarry some over 8ft across.

A better prepared return visit with some scuba and lighting equipment is on the books in the very near future, watch this space!

DSC05034bcs.jpg

DSC05030bcs.jpg

DSC05016bcs.jpg

DSC05017bcs.jpg

DSC05019bcs.jpg

DSC05015bcs.jpg

DSC05023bcs.jpg

DSC05029bcs.jpg

DSC05036bcs.jpg

DSC05035bcs.jpg

Last edited:

vwdirtboy

Keeuunnntt!
28DL Full Member
What a funny day, with some decent explores. Good to catch up with you again mate

Sure was mate.. check these out..lolz!

DSC05506bcs.jpg

DSC05501bcs.jpg

DSC05483bcs.jpg

DSC05480bcs.jpg

DSC05477bcs.jpg

jonas just how he should be!
DSC05470bcs.jpg

The steel adit door was there in the 90s.

Edit: There's also a nice railway tunnel under the quarry, if it's not been filled.

I wonder if the doors were the same.. the ones on there now have the date 2004 written in weld on them?

Be interesting to ss that tunnel!

Nice work VW, thanks again for sharing this with us :thumb

No problem mate, good to meet you :D