real time web analytics
Report - - Abandonded Riem airport (Munich) - Graffiti Hall of Fame | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Abandonded Riem airport (Munich) - Graffiti Hall of Fame

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

A

air33

I'm not sure how many people here might know about this now defunckt and demo'd location, but I've always had a soft spot on my heart for abandoned airport in Riem (Munich).

The city, which was tearing down the location over a number of years decided to allow youth to set up shop and they had all ages clubs, community centres and such set up. The highlight for me was how the city allowed an artist called Loomit (www.loomit.de) to set up shop and paint the whole airport with what he wanted. Germany has a pretty liberal attitude toward graffiti which is probably why some of the best artists come from here.

Loomit is a world famous graffiti artist from Munich who has travelled the world. The city recogized his talent and has provided him with several large locations to paint, which were either abandoned sites, or active industrial areas (such as slaughter houses). He is currenly working on painting substations (all of them) in Munich each showing a different aspect of the city's long history.

Anyone explored this place...? If so what did you think....?

More info here (all I could find) circa 1992-1997 ish

http://www.ilovegraffiti.org/graffiti_gallery/Munich Airport Riem/

lpbig.jpg

mode2loomit.jpg

loomitm03.jpg

loomitk04.jpg

munich4.jpg

munichk03.jpg

m2ladyl.jpg

airport_riem_munich_067_ilovegraffiti.com.jpg

munich_kunstpark_ost_ilovegraffiti.com_009.jpg

[/quote]