Web
Analytics
Report - - Abandoned military accommodation, Hoy, Orkney Islands - September 2018 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Abandoned military accommodation, Hoy, Orkney Islands - September 2018

VaeVictis

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi all,
New here, so this is a retrospective from a few years ago, doubt it has changed too much since then though!

The island of Hoy has a large amount of disused buildings stemming from the bases and ships stationed here during WW2 and the early post-war period, which have since been abandoned. A lot of it has been left as it was surplus to requirement. The main features of the island now are the Scapa Flow museum and memorials including to those lost on the Royal Oak. A lot of the buildings are accommodation for those stationed there. Some have been repurposed by the residents for farming etc. Security is non-existant, but access is challenging as it requires access from the mainland by boat, but I had a chance to look around on a trip there. There were four or five billet type buildings that we explored, some of the photos are below.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
These are real historic, love the old agas & old bed frame. Reminds me of that tv programme, 1800s house. Little island of the coast of the highlands.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thats a decent report, anything with an old car gets the thumbs up from me!
Thanks for sharing

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Good find, it looks very much like it, that wheel and dash binnacle are pretty distinctive!
Yep the photo was taken from a Hillman Husky 1959/60 model. The one central dial, the choke, gear stick etc all gave me stuff to work from. The outter photo looked like this

1590149708886.png