real time web analytics
Report - - Abandoned ODEON Cinema - Northend, Portsmouth. | Theatres and Cinemas | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Abandoned ODEON Cinema - Northend, Portsmouth.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Hidinginplanesite

Khurbanx
28DL Full Member
Wicked report mate :D are you planning a second trip to go to the main part?

I believe planning permission was granted to turn the old cimera in to. House and then keep the main front off it as the store it currently is ( well this was I read online) but things change all the time

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
I quite like the water, as the reflections are pretty cool. Very vibrant too.

xexxa

Xexxa the grey
Banned
Imagine, if you will, the smell of a mouldy room, somewhere also damp. That typical urbex smell.which is kind of familiar to the point it’s not disgusting anymore... Now imagine how strong an eau de parfum is... now imagine that same, lingering smell of a damp room but it’s now distilled into 50,000 litres of Eau de Urbex and dumped in that seating area. That’s how strong it is.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Imagine, if you will, the smell of a mouldy room, somewhere also damp. That typical urbex smell.which is kind of familiar to the point it’s not disgusting anymore... Now imagine how strong an eau de parfum is... now imagine that same, lingering smell of a damp room but it’s now distilled into 50,000 litres of Eau de Urbex and dumped in that seating area. That’s how strong it is.

I think that`s a great analogy and sounds above disgusting. That urbex smell can be pretty bad, mixed with stagnant water & sewage, and death, so put like that, agree, Id hate it.

dagle18

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi all..... I built the Sainsburys on the front and carried out the separation works. just to say, this building his highly contaminated throughout with high levels of toxins in the water to the flooded areas along with some bloody nasty asbestos (crocidolyte and Amosite (Brown and Blue)) The building is riddled with loads and loads of nasty stuff !!
The reason its not been flattened and redeveloped is because the cost to demolish and clean up is far more expensive than the site is worth.

Great pictures but go very very careful whilst inside. To be honest, in my opinion this is one to avoid

Landie_Man

"Landie" or Harry
Regular User
Hi all..... I built the Sainsburys on the front and carried out the separation works. just to say, this building his highly contaminated throughout with high levels of toxins in the water to the flooded areas along with some bloody nasty asbestos (crocidolyte and Amosite (Brown and Blue)) The building is riddled with loads and loads of nasty stuff !!
The reason its not been flattened and redeveloped is because the cost to demolish and clean up is far more expensive than the site is worth.

Great pictures but go very very careful whilst inside. To be honest, in my opinion this is one to avoid

Hi mate. Out of interest, what sort of toxins are in that water?

dagle18

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi mate. Out of interest, what sort of toxins are in that water?
Hi
Not to sure. we were never given the results from the chem analysis. we were just told not to explore the old screens. Sainsburys had nothing to do with the old cinema hence why we carried out the separation cut. I do know that there is an old kerosene heating oil tank on site and that has been vandalised allowing the old kerosene to escape

The Explorer Returns

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi
Not to sure. we were never given the results from the chem analysis. we were just told not to explore the old screens. Sainsburys had nothing to do with the old cinema hence why we carried out the separation cut. I do know that there is an old kerosene heating oil tank on site and that has been vandalised allowing the old kerosene to escape
Do you think anything will ever happen with this place or will it fall to the ground?

dagle18

28DL Member
28DL Member
Do you think anything will ever happen with this place or will it fall to the ground?
I can’t see developers taking it on as the demo clean up costs will be extortionate and probably out way the profit from developing the site. When I did the Sainsburys unit, the cinema owner was linked to Kens Chicken but I think he has even given up with it

FirePhoenix

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Me and my friends explored this building just yesterday. We couldn't find our way to the roof but we did find the main screen. We're going to go again many times. If anyone wants to be shown around then let me know.

Who has read this thread (Total: 903) View details