real time web analytics
Report - - Abandoned Quarry and Mine, Corris Uchaf-July 2012 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Abandoned Quarry and Mine, Corris Uchaf-July 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
In July me and two friends went to Powys to climb Cadair Idris, we stayed at a hostel in Corris(about 3 miles South-East). When we arrived we went for a long hike to prepar ourselves for the hike for the climb the next day. We walked to a neighbouring hamlet called Corris Uchaf(pronounced Corris Ikav) and followed a track on the first right turn we found. after following the track for 20 mins we found an abandoned house, then 10 mins further down the track we found a disused quarry.
In the far right corner of the quarry there's a mine shaft, which I only dared to venture about 50 ft into the shaft before I decided it was too risky to go right in. That night we got talking to a local lad in the Slater's Arms in Corris. He said, after we described where it was, "That one is shite" He told us where others were. We're planning another trip in the future but here's the pictures I got.
DSCN1369.jpg

This is the abandoned house, you can see on the wall in the centre of the shot, there's hole where beams went to hold the upper storey
DSCN1366.jpg

Kitchen
DSCN1368.jpg

Window, with a slate fence in the background
DSCN1370.jpg

Tree growing out of an upstairs window
DSCN1371.jpg

Looking up the chimney
DSCN1373.jpg

Looking up the wall from the basement
DSCN1374.jpg

This is where the ground floor/ basement ceiling has collapsed
DSCN1378.jpg

The quarry, the bore holes are apparently from testing in the 60's and 70's
DSCN1379.jpg

DSCN1384.jpg

This is a mini shaft coming away from the main shaft
DSCN1387.jpg

The start of the main shaft
DSCN1389.jpg

Further down the shaft
DSCN1391.jpg

DSCN1394.jpg

DSCN1396.jpg

On our way out
DSCN1397.jpg

DSCN1398.jpg

We saw some bore holes and climbed to them
DSCN1400.jpg

Talking to locals this is where boring equpment was tested in the 60's and 70's, apparently this is the omly evidence they left
DSCN1399.jpg

Quite a view from where the bore testing was