real time web analytics
Report - - Abandoned US Army Crane Train, Bristol - August 2020 | Military Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Abandoned US Army Crane Train, Bristol - August 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Imba

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
More information about the crane - enquires were apparently made with Grafton some years ago about this crane. Grafton refused to accept they had manufactured this machine, on the basis that this crane's build number matched a crane which had been built for a ship which then sunk. The belief is that this crane was retrieved from the ship before disaster struck, and rebuilt for rail use. Further investigation suggests that it was rebuilt from a Steam Crane. Ex MoD - Bramley ammunition depot. It's been at it's current location since at least 2013 and probably some years before that.

Damn, this is very interesting! Thanks for doing the digging

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Interesting post, but I feel not WW2 American:

The shunter is an ex WD (British War Department) Ser no WD 63036 with DE-Day Invasion markings (Star in Circle) which may be confusing it with America!

Is there a railway preservation group in the area as this looks like it has been abandoned/stored by one...

westernsultan

Banned
Banned
The shunter is an ex WD (British War Department) Ser no WD 63036 with DE-Day Invasion markings (Star in Circle) which may be confusing it with America!

Is there a railway preservation group in the area as this looks like it has been abandoned/stored by one...
It's a crane not a shunter, and of course it's owned by a preservation group as are all the wagons photographed in the report

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Interesting post, but I feel not WW2 American:

It's on a preserved railway. I'd be inclined to say its not really close to Bristol.. its not even in the same country.

Imba

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for all the research guys - I find this absolutely fascinating :thumb

And yes it is in Somerset, I forget Bristol is/was Avon but is now it's own authority I believe? Kinda confusing as I've always considered it Somerset!

Who has read this thread (Total: 808) View details