real time web analytics
Report - - Abbey Mills - October 10 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Abbey Mills - October 10

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Kempes

Feckless & irresponsible
28DL Full Member
Abbey Mills Pumping Station - October 10

Well i know there have been a few reports recently and i don't have much to add but its such an Amazing building i thought may be a few more pics wont hurt...

It was a quick visit after a gig the night before in London and with a bit of a hangover, headed over because i just had to see this ....

Bit of history robbed from Wiki

The original Abbey Mills Pumping Station, in Abbey Lane, London E15, is a sewerage pumping station, designed by engineer Joseph Bazalgette, Edmund Cooper, and architect Charles Driver. It was built between 1865 and 1868. It was designed in a cruciform plan, with an elaborate Byzantine style, described as The Cathedral of Sewage

The pumps raised the sewage in the London sewerage system between the two Low Level Sewers and the Northern Outfall Sewer, which was built in the 1860s to carry the increasing amount of sewage produced in London away from the centre of the city.
Two Moorish styled chimneys – unused since steam power had been replaced by electric motors in 1933 – were demolished during the Second World War, as they were a landmark for German bombers on raids over the London docks.
The building still houses electric pumps – to be used in reserve for the new facility next door.

Overdone for Horror film effect:)
IMG_7324.jpg

IMG_7332.jpg

IMG_7349.jpg

IMG_7363.jpg

IMG_7360.jpg

IMG_7398.jpg

IMG_7362.jpg

IMG_7383.jpg

IMG_7390.jpg

IMG_7440.jpg

IMG_7368.jpg