real time web analytics
Report - - Abbey Tunnel Sewer - Leicester - June 2013 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Abbey Tunnel Sewer - Leicester - June 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

UrbanCaving

Sewer Rat
28DL Full Member
Once again another long overdue report..

Back in the early 90s Severn Trent Water was tendering contracts for the upgrade of the sewer system in Leicester. Most of the trunk sewers in Leicester were Victorian built and aging quite badly and were for the most part struggling to keep up with demand. This led to a number of deep level tunk and intercepting sewers to take our citys poo up north away from the city.

Now sewers are not everyones cup of tea but in Leicester a vast amount of surface water goes into our sewer system so they are not quite as icky as people might think and it only takes a minute to get used to the smell. Of course sewers are a completely different ball game than storm drains. Water levels can rise rapidly not just due to rain but due to system automation, storm tanks releasing or storage chambers being pumped into the main trunks. And then there is the air quality, Level of oxygen, Methane, Hydrogen Sulphide etc. And then there is the bacteria and parasites that can make you ill too.

So that being said, I have known about the sewer upgrades in Leicester since I was a kid but the only section I knew about was what was called "Abbey Sewer" which you really want a boat to go down as its pretty deep. How ever in close proximity to the entrance to button hole there are 2 curiously large manholes in the middle of a park. There was a sewery smell coming out of them. Now although we have lifted them before this was the first time we properly took a good look.

We choose not to go for a proper wonder with out the right gas detecting equipment and waders etc etc. How ever Myself and nightvision went in and got some shots. So here is a few photos of which we intend to explore in more detail once the proper equipment is acquired. (NightVision took the photos looking up and down the main pipe)

IMG_6036_zps3bee6698.jpg

IMG_6030_zpsec574cb0.jpg

IMG_6040_zps5b66cf14.jpg

IMG_1363_zps85a31032.jpg

IMG_1366_zps3d45e2a5.jpg

We have done a lot more since this report along with LeicesterUrbanXP and JuJu, so there is yet more stuff to come from this network.

UrbanCaving

Sewer Rat
28DL Full Member
I think it does actually, we where there once after some major rain fall and it was almost up at the manhole, so we are concerned with the automation that might be going on there too.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Christ, that ladder is crusty...

Not my cup of tea personally, but good effort!

Daniel w hulmes

28DL Member
28DL Member
Once again another long overdue report..

Back in the early 90s Severn Trent Water was tendering contracts for the upgrade of the sewer system in Leicester. Most of the trunk sewers in Leicester were Victorian built and aging quite badly and were for the most part struggling to keep up with demand. This led to a number of deep level tunk and intercepting sewers to take our citys poo up north away from the city.

Now sewers are not everyones cup of tea but in Leicester a vast amount of surface water goes into our sewer system so they are not quite as icky as people might think and it only takes a minute to get used to the smell. Of course sewers are a completely different ball game than storm drains. Water levels can rise rapidly not just due to rain but due to system automation, storm tanks releasing or storage chambers being pumped into the main trunks. And then there is the air quality, Level of oxygen, Methane, Hydrogen Sulphide etc. And then there is the bacteria and parasites that can make you ill too.

So that being said, I have known about the sewer upgrades in Leicester since I was a kid but the only section I knew about was what was called "Abbey Sewer" which you really want a boat to go down as its pretty deep. How ever in close proximity to the entrance to button hole there are 2 curiously large manholes in the middle of a park. There was a sewery smell coming out of them. Now although we have lifted them before this was the first time we properly took a good look.

We choose not to go for a proper wonder with out the right gas detecting equipment and waders etc etc. How ever Myself and nightvision went in and got some shots. So here is a few photos of which we intend to explore in more detail once the proper equipment is acquired. (NightVision took the photos looking up and down the main pipe)

IMG_6036_zps3bee6698.jpg

IMG_6030_zpsec574cb0.jpg

IMG_6040_zps5b66cf14.jpg

IMG_1363_zps85a31032.jpg

IMG_1366_zps3d45e2a5.jpg

We have done a lot more since this report along with LeicesterUrbanXP and JuJu, so there is yet more stuff to come from this network.
Did you ever venture any further in?

NuBoid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
ha ha, not the cleanest that !!!!!!!!!!!
what size are the main pipes ?? are they totally walkable ??
certainly needs doing at a later date that for sure

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
ha ha, not the cleanest that !!!!!!!!!!!
what size are the main pipes ?? are they totally walkable ??
certainly needs doing at a later date that for sure

If I remember correctly, the main pipe is 8ft diameter. But it is not walkable, I wouldn't attempt it anyway. The flow is deep and strong, the current could take your legs from under you.
A few years back I did a different part of the system which was brick egg and we struggled with the flow. We headed back upstream to the manhole we entered, and we kept having to clear the 'debris' from our feet. Very dangerous, and exhausting.
If you want drains in the Leicester area, gimme a shout and I'll show you round.

NuBoid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If I remember correctly, the main pipe is 8ft diameter. But it is not walkable, I wouldn't attempt it anyway. The flow is deep and strong, the current could take your legs from under you.
A few years back I did a different part of the system which was brick egg and we struggled with the flow. We headed back upstream to the manhole we entered, and we kept having to clear the 'debris' from our feet. Very dangerous, and exhausting.
If you want drains in the Leicester area, gimme a shout and I'll show you round.

Hi Punk
nice to hear from you
with photos you cant tell sometimes the size and flow within some pipes, ive got a report to post sometime soon and one of the pics looks like you could march the grand ole duke of York down there with his ten thousand men, but in reality its quite tiny
tis hard work walking with a bit of flow but there comes a point when it gets scary
id love to have a mooch around Leicester. ill give you a shout, big thanks Punk

Who has read this thread (Total: 219) View details