real time web analytics
Report - - ABC/Canon/Forum - Liverpool - March 2016 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - ABC/Canon/Forum - Liverpool - March 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Man In Black

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited a few nights with different explorers was one id been checking for over 3 years and then the day finally came, a building with stunning architecture and was also nice to get on the roof watching the drunk people below.

The History Part

Opened as the Forum Cinema on 16th May 1931 with Clifford Mollison in “Almost A Honeymoon”. It was designed by William R. Glen and Alfred Ernest Shennan for Associated British Cinemas(ABC) at a cost in excess of 200,000 pounds.

A massive six-storey curved Portland stone facade remains a distinctive and highly prominent feature of Lime Street – one of Liverpool’s major thoroughfares. The foyer was lined with Italian marble.

The auditorium, in a semi-Atmospheric style, depicted Venetian scenes, contains an amazing proscenium treatment consisting of a vast curved canopy over the arch and the side boxes. Indirect light light was a feature, except for a huge ‘sunburst’ light fitting above the balcony.

A shallow stage was provided together with a Compton 3Manual/12Ranks organ on a lift in front of the stage, which was opened by organist Reginald Foort.

Because of the relatively small width of the site the 1,835 capacity was achieved by having a huge circle containing 750 of the seats.

It was re-named ABC from 17th February 1971 and due to its opulence and excellent location the cinema survived intact until 1982 when it was converted to a three screen operation by installing two mini-cinemas under the balcony seating 272 and 217 seats.

From 1986 it had been re-named Cannon. It closed on 29th January 1998 with a special screening of Humphrey Bogart in “Casablanca”, when a special admission fee of 50p was charged.

There were proposals to convert the building into a conference centre, but these stalled and the building has stood empty since closing. Proposals were put forward in late-2007 to convert it into a ‘boutique’ hotel and supper club, with plans going to Liverpool City Council in July 2008 and if permission was granted, work could start in late-2008. The building remained unused and was de-tripled in 2016.

It is Grade II Listed building.

The Rooftop

1 (2).jpg

16.jpg

The Upper Level
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

The Lower level and Stage
7.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
8.jpg

The Toilets
8 (2).jpg

A from high above behind the stage with a waynes world 2 poster and the foyer
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
12.jpg

That Ceiling
13.jpg

if I can find the rest of the photos from inside the the ceiling with the pulley for the lights ill upload them to this thread.

Thanks for viewing

Kei-J

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This report is fantastic! I love that the interior is still well preserved! If you feel like being kind, inbox me on how u got in!
I'm on the fat side so scaling the roof isn't a good idea for me!

Adrian Rose

28DL Member
28DL Member
It has been rumoured that the Compton organ pipes still exist in the chambers over the proscunium arch (the grilles above the stage.)Its probably accessed either from the stage or from a door on the roof.Nobody seems to have got photos of these rooms yet.

The Man In Black

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It has been rumoured that the Compton organ pipes still exist in the chambers over the proscunium arch (the grilles above the stage.)Its probably accessed either from the stage or from a door on the roof.Nobody seems to have got photos of these rooms yet.
Been above the arch no organ pipes just massive air vent power stuff

Who has read this thread (Total: 301) View details