Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - ABC cinema Wakefield | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - ABC cinema Wakefield

JoolzABCfreak

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi guys, just thought I'd give you a bit of info,went there Mon & theres a metal fence around the back & side exits,a small container & portaloo is in situ,the carparks concrete blocks have gone (now open to those pesky taxis again) & a demo & explosives expert was sat in his van on the phone,so I think start on demo wont be long.Been back today & nothigs happening as yet.If anyones local it's really worth going for a last look before this old lady goes for good....:thumb.

JoolzABCfreak

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm keeping an eye on progress.Noticed a week ago a big boarding had been removed & thought somethings starting,then next day was told by person who emailed a fence was round & container was there.Went round Mon to check it out & posted my findings.On Thurs (9th Feb) morning the very end exit doors to cinema 3 were open with the workmen inside with a generator or pump linked up.I could see down the steps but didn't have time to get out of my car & ask anything,we haven't seen much more activity since,probably too cold or frozen in there to get on with it.Very sad to see such a great bit of art deco go,lots of happy memories of it as a cinema too.

JoolzABCfreak

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi guys,just a quick update.The 'big hole' has now been boarded back up from the inside,so no visible access points anymore (at the mo).I spoke to the demo men today & it's deffo coming down at some point but going to be a very slow job as they say,they're pumping it out at the mo & say it just keeps flooding again.Looks strange seeing all the back exit doors open,I was like a slathering dog stood at the railings wanting to get in there!!!!!

baked

28DL Member
28DL Member
Yes the demolition has started but me and my friend were able to get in yesterday, a lot easier than what we thought actually, one of the back doors was open. Sadly all the seats have now been removed and put into a massive pile in the middle however it's still great to look around.

simonjonnemeth

28DL Member
28DL Member
Are they actually doing anything? :confused It looks like they've packed up and left. Perhaps they gave it up as a bad job for the time being.

yorkshiretvlad

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I am very local to this former ABC cinema and I will keep an eye out on whats going and have my camera at the ready!Oh bye the way today(02/06/12)is the last chance for people take a look around the"Unity Hall"thats sat at the top of Westgate.The last tour starts at 11am.