real time web analytics
Report - - Abercwmeiddaw slate mine, Corris Uchaf, Wales, Jul14 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Abercwmeiddaw slate mine, Corris Uchaf, Wales, Jul14

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Was great to be back hiking in Snowdonia, and although our weekend was focused around hiking & beer, we found ourselves having a quick peek back at this derelict mine near the lovely village of Corris. We stumbled across this a few years back, and I was keen to have a proper look round, and see inside the ‘binoculars’. These are testing bore holes apparently. It looks like a large section has crumbled away, as the tubes continue on another outcrop.

The slate mine was worked between the 1860s and the early 1950s.

Explored with KM punk… and a reluctant Non member.

IMG_6702.jpg

IMG_6708.jpg

IMG_6709.jpg

looking out 'the binoculars'
IMG_6716.jpg

this is how big they are
IMG_6717.jpg

IMG_6699.jpg

The Adit

IMG_6735.jpg

landslide
IMG_6734.jpg

IMG_6738.jpg

IMG_6739.jpg

Mining buildings
IMG_6691.jpg

corris uchaf
IMG_6684.jpg

thanks for looking :)

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Shit Wombat, This is lovely...hope you folk had a good time and good weather.

vanoord

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
'Sort of' test bores - they were trials for a Hunter tunneller machine, which was a monstrous, water turbine-driven trepanning device that was tested in various places around North Wales. The binocular' tunnel may have been driven by a twin-head machine - or by a single-head machine being used twice. Various photos, patents and discussion is on AditNow if anyone has half an hour to waste!

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
'Sort of' test bores - they were trials for a Hunter tunneller machine, which was a monstrous, water turbine-driven trepanning device that was tested in various places around North Wales. The binocular' tunnel may have been driven by a twin-head machine - or by a single-head machine being used twice. Various photos, patents and discussion is on AditNow if anyone has half an hour to waste!

cheers for the info.

Many thanks everyone for the Thumbs & comments :)