Web
Analytics
Abseiling | Urban Community Portal | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

Abseiling

urban

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Does anybody use a Petzl GriGri for abseiling or is this a bad idea?

I normally use an 8 but have been looking for a safer alternative. Ive heard the Petzl stop is slow/awkward to use .

I have a grigri for belaying and often wandered if anybody uses them for abseiling.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Squirrell 911

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Zerocool and I use them with no problems. Dont know what the official line is on them. We use a grigri and a shunt for prussicing too.

Semteck

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi there
to answer your question yes you can use a gri for ab but I would recommend only 10-11.5mm rope as 9mm goes really quickly and is difficult to stop I would also have a back up device I use a french prusik just in case of emergencys! there are other devices that will handle 9mm better I find a cinch works well also with a prusik loop though they are expensive but work in much the same way as a gri
Hope this is of some help:thumb

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Yes you can abseil on a Grigri although I find it hard to use on longer abseils and prefer to use an ATC (or similar) for leisure and a Petzl Stop for work.

The good side of using a Grigri is that when used with a shunt, jummar or prusic devive it is very efficient to use to ascend rope over a short distance.

Not sure why you want to know about abseiling, but for shortish abseils when I've been exploring I usually just use an Italian hitch and carry a couple of prusic loops to get back out.

stepping lightly

Stolenmoments
Regular User
If your abbing 10ft a small chain link will suffice , between 10 & 50 a figure8 and after that a stop is probably the best but main rule is keep it simple..
IMG_5455-1.jpg

Last edited:

diehardlove

1 of them cnuts off 28dsl
Regular User
If I didn't know what you'd done I'd say you're a fucking nutter with the chain link :D Wait, I'll still say that!
Haha anyone else and id think they were taking the piss on the chain link but not sl.
For me stop all the way.