real time web analytics
Information - - Access changes to mandale mine (lathkill) | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Access changes to mandale mine (lathkill)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Suddenly_Will

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi all, I'm a lurker so I'll keep my intrusion here brief, but given the risk of everyone (cavers, urbexers/mine explorers, researchers) permanently losing access i'm making a post. Apologies if this is the wrong section to put it in.

TL;DR; Access now only requires a spanner as before (and is not as restricted as before), however if the person or people who've been breaking the lock don't stop it will be sealed, likely permanently.

I'll update this with new info, but the DCA will be updating also and they're the ones working on this so they'll be better at answering any technical questions.

Wall of text version (background info)

Access used to be a nut loosened with a spanner, but was changed to a code lock where a code was given to BCA cavers only. This lock was broken for access to the system, and access has recently been reverted to the previous nut-and-spanner system (see below). This is because of people vandalising the locks, leaving the entrance unsecured until the locks were replaced. This is meaning the controlling body are considering permanently sealing the cave.

Due to this, a temporary 'trial period' while a new gate is devised (which even then will just require a spanner like the current system, it's just a bit safer and more permanent/convienient) of going back to the old spanner and nut setup is being tried, which means that access is much easier, and if the system is not abused it will be permanent and access will be extremely easy as long as it's used in good faith.

I doubt the person responsible for this is an actual explorer, so they're probably not on this site, but if people could spread the message about the new access that would probably be helpful in keeping it.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Moved to relevant section (Mines & Quarries)..

I've seen this mentioned elsewhere, I doubt anyone here is responsible as they are mainly bashing out derelict stuff, but at least a heads up for those that do dabble and were unaware

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
I'll inform my caving club, I'm sure they'll get the word out a bit and I'll put an article in the club newsletter (Im the editor) as well.

CaverPete

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for posting this Suddenly_Will.
Once I've repaired the last of the Mandale gates in the coming weeks, explorers will only need to bring an adjustable spanner with them to go in. So long as the mines stay secure from public entry, no restrictions will apply to appropriately equipped explorers and Natural England will allow the mines to remain open. If they get broken into again, the Reserve staff are likely to concrete the gates shut permanently. We don't care if you are from a caving background or an urbex one, you are all legitimate explorers as far as we are concerned and we are asking for your help in keeping these sites open for the future.
There is some background info on why mines need to remain secured on the Derbyshire Caving Association website: https://thedca.org.uk/

CaverPete

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Myself and few volunteers from the Derbyshire Caving Association have repaired the top entrance gate to Mandale today. To access any of the levels of this mine, you only need to take a Derbyshire Key with you (a.k.a. an adjustable spanner). Please keep the gates locked securely so we don't lose access to these mines.
Mandale Upper 12-5-19 (9).JPG

tigger

mog
Regular User
Myself and few volunteers from the Derbyshire Caving Association have repaired the top entrance gate to Mandale today. To access any of the levels of this mine, you only need to take a Derbyshire Key with you (a.k.a. an adjustable spanner). Please keep the gates locked securely so we don't lose access to these mines.

Thanks for the work you (and others) do to keep such places acessible to everyone Pete