Web
Analytics
Report - - Adel woods (bunker) document store - Leeds '16 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Adel woods (bunker) document store - Leeds '16

aem

Perilously hopeless....
Regular User
Well i wasn't going to bother writing a report on this one, on account of it not worth the effort of seeing and my pictures are shocking. However, since I can't find any other reports on the place and the fact I've posted knack all for months, I shall subject you to the misery that is the Adel woods document store.

Built for the Leeds permanent building society during WW2 due to the obvious vulnerability of surface buildings to air raids in the city center, the bunker was used to store various banking documents and deeds, along with documents for the Leeds Corporation (city council). Built from reinforced concrete, the bunker provided two floors of watertight storage space (racking) which was achieved by 'tanking' the building using brick and asphalt.

Main entrance
http://[URL=http://s870.photobucket.com/user/adamemorgan/media/Adel%20woods%20document%20store/Adel%20Bunker%20Outer_zpsmkiidosh.jpg.html][ATTACH=full]687276[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]687374[/ATTACH]

Stairs to lower level (both floors pretty much identical)
[ATTACH=full]687277[/ATTACH]

Storage
[ATTACH=full]687278[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]687279[/ATTACH]

Storage racks
[ATTACH=full]687280[/ATTACH]

I shall now crawl back into my hole and won't come back out until i find something a little more interesting.

:coat

Attachments

Yorrick

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nowt wrong with the pics mate, the first isn't showing for me though.

Built for the Leeds permanent building society during WW2 due to the obvious vulnerability of surface buildings
And I didn't know they did that, so it's interesting too.

aem

Perilously hopeless....
Regular User
Nice one :thumbInteresting pipework - was that for background heating?
That was just the racking Canute. The place had your run of the mill (for the time) air-conditioning fitted. Most of the pipework now lay at the bottom of the aircon shaft rotting away.

canute

货车司机和国王
Regular User
That was just the racking Canute. The place had your run of the mill (for the time) air-conditioning fitted. Most of the pipework now lay at the bottom of the aircon shaft rotting away.
Thanks mate - must have been pretty state of the art at the time

bennh94

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi Guys,

total newbie here! me and a few friends went for a wonder here earlier this week, the door is bolted up so we couldn't report, took us about an hour to find too after stumbling around in the dark! pretty disappointed but I'm sure we will go back!

Last edited: