real time web analytics
Report - - ADM Spiller's Mill, Newcastle, March 2011 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - ADM Spiller's Mill, Newcastle, March 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Spiller's Tyne Mill is one of a trio of mills designed by Oscar Faber for Spillers Ltd, the other two are based in Cardiff and Avonmouth.
Spillers’ operations were flour milling and manufacturing animal feeds.
When completed in 1938, Spillers’ Tyne Mill was the largest flour mill in Europe, capable of taking an annual 250,00 tons of grain. The premises comprised of two buildings, the silo or grain store and the flour mill and warehouse.
Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) finally closed its Newcastle site in 2006.

Visited on a sunny afternoon with two fellow explorers, we spent over four hours exploring this huge building. We heard, and saw local kids throwing bricks off the roof, and down the 6ft wide holes in floor..so a word of caution for anyone entering/leaving to be careful, since
as well as having to avoid the holes in the floor, also to be wary of concrete raining down from above : /
Oh, and dont wander into the open lift shafts...unless you want a quick exit 12 floors down! :O

Really pic-heavy... apologies in advance.

146.jpg

149.jpg

141.jpg

135.jpg

053.jpg

051.jpg

043.jpg

048.jpg

124.jpg

120.jpg

115.jpg

110.jpg

109.jpg

085.jpg

090.jpg

076.jpg

073.jpg

038.jpg

036.jpg

029.jpg

011.jpg

032.jpg

Unfortunately blurry pic of police cars at other side of river checking on the mill.. I should really practise more with zoom :rolleyes:
127.jpg

126.jpg

Cat
:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Owenadammarshall

28DL Member
28DL Member
I know this is an old post but I thought I would share this anyways, my old nextdoor neighbour showed me the photos of this while it was in use a long time ago! Looks a lot different now!