real time web analytics
Question - - Advice on buying a respirator | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Advice on buying a respirator

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Kerfir

28DL Member
28DL Member
I've only explored a couple of structures before, and I'm thinking of making it a regular thing so I plan on buying a respirator. My question is, what type should I get for exploring abandoned buildings? I'm thinking just a half-mask respirator, but am I better off getting a full-mask one?

I'm willing to spend up to £60, so if someone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful :)

keffa

Bringer of free Cylumes
28DL Full Member
I've only explored a couple of structures before, and I'm thinking of making it a regular thing so I plan on buying a respirator. My question is, what type should I get for exploring abandoned buildings? I'm thinking just a half-mask respirator, but am I better off getting a full-mask one?

I'm willing to spend up to £60, so if someone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful :)

Get a box of P3 disposable masks from any good hardware store if you only intend to use them occasionally. The threat of asbestos is generally overstated I find.

If your still keen on the non disposable type, I find the Moldex half masks to be decent. There's absolutely no need for a full face one, it will just steam up and piss you off and there's nothing it will offer any additional protection against.

diehardlove

1 of them cnuts off 28dsl
28DL Full Member
Why do the same questions come up again and again and again when most of the answers are in previous threads or the FAQS.

keffa

Bringer of free Cylumes
28DL Full Member
It's kind of like reassurance. People ask because even though the answers are there, they want to feel reassured about what they are doing as it applies to them in particular. It's why you see the numerous "What torch?", "What camera?", "I bought XYZ yesterday..." and so on.

Gone

Regular User
Just leave them unless they are free, Mind you I had a bad throat for a good 2/3 weeks after Primark Ballroom.

Bunk3r

28DL Memb3r
28DL Full Member
Personally If I suspect there's an issue I use a paper p3 rated mask, because its small cheap and easy and stops me taking in lungfulls at a time (note I do use p3 rated, not just a standard dust mask). yes a rubber mask will work better, but your not going to use it often, as I say as long as Im not getting lung fulls Im happy. likewise I could get paranoid and wear a full hazmat suit thing but again its just about reducing it. Everyone in life inhales asbestos IMO its just about limiting doseages like with radiation.

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
If the enviroment is that bad you have to wear more than a P3 disposable mask; it's probably not worth venturing in.

If there is a high amount of dust in the atmosphire taking photos isn't that easy as well as potential damage to the camera equipment. If what you're protecting yourself from requires more than a P3 paper mask; you are then probably looking at other forms of personel protective equipment as well from a paper dust suit upwards, at this point I don't think it's worth it!

Kerfir

28DL Member
28DL Member
I guess I didn't realise being cautious towards a potentially deadly substance was unmanly of me.

Anyway, thanks for the replies so far guys. I might go for the disposable P3 masks, do any major hardware branches like focus/B&Q sell them, or am I going to have to find some obscure local shop?

BenCooper

Mr Boombastic
28DL Full Member
You'll find a wide variety of opinions on here :)

Asbestos, in most places, isn't a worry - it's not released nto the atmosphere, or the place has a good through breeze and lots of dampness, or whatever. In a few confined places it's a big worry, and for them a good P3 mask is essential. You can get 'em online from loads of places.

However, get a good one - an uncomfortable, badly-fitting mask is worse than none at all. And if the place you're going is that bad, think about disposable clothes and cleaning proceedures before you take that asbestos home to your friends and family.

Weeble

Having a blonde moment
28DL Full Member
I might go for the disposable P3 masks, do any major hardware branches like focus/B&Q sell them, or am I going to have to find some obscure local shop?

I couldn't find any in B&Q (may be I was just being special though), so I got some in Screwfix. But as yet I haven't ever felt the need to wear one, but I occasionally take it places just in case.