real time web analytics
Report - - AEI Air Raid Shelter, Northfleet - December 2017 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - AEI Air Raid Shelter, Northfleet - December 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
History

W. T. Henley was a cable/wire company that was founded in a small London-based workshop in 1837. William Thomas Henley is famous for having converted his old lathe into a wiring covering machine which was used to cover wire with silk and cotton as this was in high demand at the time for electromagnetic apparatus. It is reported that Henley’s company progressed at an impressive rate and that he pioneered the submarine cable field (laying cables on the sea bed between land-based stations to carry telecommunication signals across stretches of ocean).It was Henley’s dream that all of civilisation would eventually be linked together telegraphically.

As WT Henley’s Telegraph Works continued to prosper, Henley decided to purchase a factory at North Woolwich beside the Thames in 1859 for £8,000. It is said that this development led to the laying of the Persian Gulf telegraph cable which is 1615 miles long, for the Indian Government. As a result, by the end of 1873 Henley’s Woolwich site had spread to cover some sixteen acres and his company also included three cable laying ships and a four-hundred-foot wharf to allow five-hundred-ton ships to load and unload their cargo. Sadly, Henley died in 1882; however, his company continued to grow in his absence and went on to form branches across the country.

By 1906 work on a new factory in Gravesend was completed. The new factory is said to have been an impressive development and it included extensive, purpose-built, laboratories and a modern reinforced concrete air-raid shelter under London Road that could hold approximately two-thousand people. The tunnels were built into old caves within the Rosherville Gardens – an area of land located between the cable works and the cliff face. It is likely that the air-raid shelter was factory-owned but also open to the public as Henley’s company did not actually own Rosherville Gardens at the time and it featured a number of amenities and six entrances. Henley’s company continued to thrive as the Victorian era ended; however, its success can be linked directly to the Great War as it was a catalyst for technological and industrial development and change. By the Second World War, Henley’s company was publicly praised for its contribution towards King and Country – particularly its contribution to ‘Operation Pluto’ (the construction of petrol pipelines across the English Channel). Despite this success, a decision was made to close the main Henley factory at Woolwich due to the repeated damaged it suffered during the war years. A new factory was subsequently built at Birtley in the North East due to its reputation for being a ‘misty valley’ that made it difficult for the Luftwaffe to target factories, and this was completed in 1950.

Sadly, a change of events occurred in 1958 when AEI acquired Henley’s company, having already taken over Siemens Bros in 1953. However, AEI is now the world’s oldest cable company and recently celebrated its one-hundred and seventy-fifth anniversary. Unfortunately, Henley’s Gravesend site was closed in 2008, though, due to it being ‘no longer viable to operate because of strong European competition’.

Our Version of Events

Not much by way of events for this one. It’s been a very busy few months and we ended up here to take a break after doing a spot of house viewing. Since we’d spent all day and most of the evening looking at damp, shitty rental properties that all looked as though they ought to be photographed and placed as reports on here, we arrived outside AEI in the early hours of the morning. Armed only with the essentials, our tripods, cameras and cans of Stella Artois, we made our way over the epic bog that you have to cross to find the entrance to the old shelter. We really underestimated how muddy this bit of wasteland was going to be to be honest and very nearly ended up taking a cold midnight mud bath several times. Nevertheless, we eventually made it across, with all our beers intact you’ll be happy to know. From this point onwards, getting into the old shelter was pretty straightforward.

Once inside, we immediately set about taking our snaps. There was a shared feeling among us that the heavy feeling of tiredness was impending so we wanted to get the hard bit of the explore out of the way quickly. It didn’t really take long to photograph the place in the end though, once we’d worked out the general layout of the structure which is a grid-like setup. This left us with plenty of time to each pull up a chemical toilet and enjoy a few bevvies. And that’s how it ended. The tins were cracked and we sat wondering what it would have felt like to hear explosions outside and the thunder of guns shaking the paint and dirt from the ceiling. In reality, all we could really hear was a superb silence and the odd drip coming from a room to our left. What better way to finish an explore, with beers in hand and an abundance of chemical toilets at the ready.

Explored with Ford Mayhem.

1:

27730940679_07187c9b04_b.jpg

2:

38611626585_dfdcd698ea_b.jpg

3:

38611612715_bdd671e98e_b.jpg

4:

39507308001_5b310b441b_b.jpg

5:

39477016582_dcc36f8071_b.jpg

6:

38611581775_692bcf7867_b.jpg

7:

38798985514_9f59908a55_b.jpg

8:

27730850509_02b4db3999_b.jpg

9:

39507257241_46d3816abb_b.jpg

10:

38798951544_934cea31f0_b.jpg

11:

39507238931_9fa28145e1_b.jpg

12:

39507226581_73f132f0c5_b.jpg

13:

25636905868_1189122b6c_b.jpg

14:

27730755439_fec2215a33_b.jpg

15:

39507195531_0d9de231b3_b.jpg

16:

39507180981_47bc5dd389_b.jpg

17:

39476894882_1cb2d606a0_b.jpg

18:

27730704689_333b9a922b_b.jpg

19:

38611424095_56406ffdba_b.jpg

20:

38798854594_1e38cebb9b_b.jpg

21:

25636814108_b401f000ac_b.jpg

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
I do like it here. Being its 15 mins from me. You photos really set the place off beautifully. I really must get the hang of light painting. So much is missing from my photos at the moment.

Great set these :D

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Looks like someones had a bit of a party down there. :/

It is a great shelter this one, massively over engineered for what it was. It's a shame we managed to collectively miss the whole of the rest of the factory when it closed many years ago, somehow it was totally missed until there was practically none of it left!

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
Nice photos, really does the place justice.
Seems you might have been one of the last to see this for a little while, they went to town sealing the place up.

Calamity Jane

Regular User
They are indeed sealed ,a big concrete plug/block where one way in was and the other ways have been rather well sealed

Thought as much, thanks @Wevsky . Would hate to think they are open again and only mins from me, but as Ive done them, I can wait.

Calamity Jane

Regular User
Thought as much, thanks @Wevsky . Would hate to think they are open again and only mins from me, but as Ive done them, I can wait.
Would of been the perfect place to practice too lol. But I guess the wood right next to my house will do. Shame no remains left of old morgue in there anymore lol

Calamity Jane

Regular User
some pics on one of the many fb groups of the measures they have gone too

I think ive seen some. I think Gravesend Borough Council are thinking of restoring them. The local MP went there and into them just after the meet

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
I think ive seen some. I think Gravesend Borough Council are thinking of restoring them. The local MP went there and into them just after the meet
They where building on the land soon,i seem to remember some issue over the building work due to some old bear pit they uncovered or something along those lines..

Calamity Jane

Regular User
They where building on the land soon,i seem to remember some issue over the building work due to some old bear pit they uncovered or something along those lines..

Yep thats correct, the bear pit is more Rosherville gardens though. Protests from local councilors are trying to get Keepmoat to restore parts of the gardens, bear pit, hermit cave etc. But the AEI tunnels were visited so MP Adam Holloway could see for himself if they could or should be saved

jsp77

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yep thats correct, the bear pit is more Rosherville gardens though. Protests from local councilors are trying to get Keepmoat to restore parts of the gardens, bear pit, hermit cave etc. But the AEI tunnels were visited so MP Adam Holloway could see for himself if they could or should be saved

Funny you should say that, i bumped in to him when i went last year. Must have been July time. He seemed a nice chap and we had a chat for a bit and went on our way.

Great photos Wildboyz, lit them up a treat:thumb