real time web analytics
Report - - AEI Cable Works Air Raid Shelter ,Northfleet. Febuary 2015 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - AEI Cable Works Air Raid Shelter ,Northfleet. Febuary 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Wasnt going to do a report as ive bunged the odd one up here and there but the wifes blocked my view of the tv with a table she is painting so here goes..

We first visited this place back in 2011 with some comedy gold access to boot!
Access was as funny if not funnier this time round ,Big shout to Woody on this one,thanks matey!

Brief history stolen from underground Kent

The company W T Henley has always been highly regarded for the manufacture of cable and electrical components and was clearly the company of choice when a system had to be devised as a countermeasure to the growing threat of German magnetic mines during the Second World War. As a result, a new site was constructed in 1939 in Gravesend for W T Henley and a complex of tunnels built underneath to provide air raid shelter for the company’s employees
With at least six entrances, the air raid shelter was very clearly signed internally to ensure that there was no confusion when looking for your allocated space. Cut into chalk and lined with prefabricated concrete, the shelter tunnels were well laid out, including first aid areas and numerous latrines – in the form of Elson buckets.

The tunnels themselves don’t seem to have much in the way of documented history unlike the cable works..

pics...

I probably have more shots of this but these happen to be on my flickr and i cba with photobucket these days so this is what you get ;)

16344217639_d9fcbcbd20_b.jpg

15910307203_ae02e65f5a_b.jpg

16528773391_b86d2495ed_b.jpg

16344568707_c1be6de226_b.jpg

16504471516_ed06d4718f_b.jpg

16530505705_f02374c2ca_b.jpg

15910295363_e854642cdf_b.jpg

17313525511_f63bc521b3_b.jpg

16513363936_abfafd5eae_b.jpg

Explored with non member Trav who without i may still be down there now..

Jordan Springett

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi mate funny enough me and two mates went there today. We found the tunnel entrances but were all boarded up with welded sheets of steel. I did find an opening in the side of the cliff and managed to get in, there was a stair case that just led up to the top of the cliff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Hi mate funny enough me and two mates went there today. We found the tunnel entrances but were all boarded up with welded sheets of steel. I did find an opening in the side of the cliff and managed to get in, there was a stair case that just led up to the top of the cliff. We did also spot a ventilation pipe just big enough for someone to fit down, I'm guessing that's how you got down?
Even if that was access i wouldnt say it was on a public thread.please lets not discuss access Atal if poss