real time web analytics
Report - - Agecroft Power Station, Manchester, July 2019 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Agecroft Power Station, Manchester, July 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
While in Manchester recently I read a report by the @The Amateur Wanderer , (thanks for the current info much appreciated)
so decided to visit here.

Agecroft was a former coal fired power station situated on the banks of the Irwell at Pendlebury, Manchester.
Agecroft A was opened in 1925 by Alderman G Billington, agecroft B & C were opened in 1962.
Owned by the Salford corporation electricity department until nationalisation & then central electricity generating board,
agecroft A used 3 12,500 & 1 20,000 kilowatt metropolitan vickers generators with a combined capacity of 57,500 kilowatts,
agecroft B used 2 55 megawatt generators & agecroft C used 2 124 megawatt generators with a combined capacity of 358 megawatts.
The boilers were chain grated some which were rebuilt to use oil rather than coal.
The stations used cooling water from the Irwell , while B & C stations used 4 draft cooling towers.
Agecroft colliery was opened in 1844 & supplied coal to the power station
originally coal was transferred by rail between the colliery & the power station by using 3 steam locomotives & hopper wagons,
On nationalisation this was replaced by a conveyor belt across agecroft road (A6044).
Agecroft colliery closed in 1991 & the power station closed in 1993
demolition of the colliery & power station (agecroft B & C) inc cooling towers commenced in 1994, H M prison forest bank has been built on the land.
the buildings at the front are in use (currently being refurbished) while those at the rear aren't,
all that remains now is the agecroft A power station, stores / control room (linked by a bridge) & a pump house.

1.JPG

2.JPG

linking bridge

3.JPG

4.JPG

power station (Agecroft A)

live sub station

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG
14.JPG

stores & control room

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

pump house

20.JPG

Last edited:

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Nice one. Didn’t see in the pump house when I went. I was really surprised to hear that live bit humming away!

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Thats not the original pump house I dont think. That's the other side of the sub to the control room. Totally empty

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
Thats not the original pump house I dont think. That's the other side of the sub to the control room. Totally empty

it's on the outside of the paliside, alongside the irwell.

Last edited:

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
Didn’t see in the pump house when I went.

it's a single story building with 1 room, there's pipes going out & coming in
alongside the irwell.

I was really surprised to hear that live bit humming away!

the first thing I notice was the red lights & humming,
surprised the pikies haven't made an attempt at this as there's lots of copper cable casing about.

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
If that's the original then it's still there but on the edge of school grounds. I looked through window or tried too could not see anything lol.

Kevkev55

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
While in Manchester recently I read a report by the @The Amateur Wanderer , (thanks for the current info much appreciated)
so decided to visit here.

Agecroft was a former coal fired power station situated on the banks of the Irwell at Pendlebury, Manchester.
Agecroft A was opened in 1925 by Alderman G Billington, agecroft B & C were opened in 1962.
Owned by the Salford corporation electricity department until nationalisation & then central electricity generating board,
agecroft A used 3 12,500 & 1 20,000 kilowatt metropolitan vickers generators with a combined capacity of 57,500 kilowatts,
agecroft B used 2 55 megawatt generators & agecroft C used 2 124 megawatt generators with a combined capacity of 358 megawatts.
The boilers were chain grated some which were rebuilt to use oil rather than coal.
The stations used cooling water from the Irwell , while B & C stations used 4 draft cooling towers.
Agecroft colliery was opened in 1844 & supplied coal to the power station
originally coal was transferred by rail between the colliery & the power station by using 3 steam locomotives & hopper wagons,
On nationalisation this was replaced by a conveyor belt across agecroft road (A6044).
Agecroft colliery closed in 1991 & the power station closed in 1993
demolition of the colliery & power station (agecroft B & C) inc cooling towers commenced in 1994, H M prison forest bank has been built on the land.
the buildings at the front are in use (currently being refurbished) while those at the rear aren't,
all that remains now is the agecroft A power station, stores / control room (linked by a bridge) & a pump house.

1.JPG

2.JPG

linking bridge

3.JPG

4.JPG

power station (Agecroft A)

live sub station

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG
14.JPG

stores & control room

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

pump house

20.JPG
Oh my god!
My dad used to work at agecroft power station,
I used to work out in one of the lodges out there! Many, many thanks for posting,
I’m sat her in mcds with a tear in my eye!
Memories cam flooding back.
Absolutely brilliant post .
Thank you.
Kevkev.

Who has read this thread (Total: 359) View details