real time web analytics
Report - - Ahronsberg Bros, Goldsmith and Jewellers Birmingham. June 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ahronsberg Bros, Goldsmith and Jewellers Birmingham. June 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The Century Buildings are a vacant factory, built around 1901, to a design by Hipkiss Stephens of Birmingham. It incorporated a dwelling of around 1794, and has some later 20th century alterations and additions. The building itself is Grade II listed.

The 1794 house is thought to have been built for the Oughton family, and was occupied from around 1810 by Henry Adcock, a jeweller, gilt toy maker and button and bead manufacturer. In 1901, the site was purchased by Messrs. Ahronsberg Brothers, jewellers, who converted the premises to a goldsmiths and jewellery factory.

In recent years, the building has stood empty, having only accommodated short term tenants before. Plans are now afoot to convert the buildings into 46 student flats.

Cheers for Speed for the heads up this had come good. A good example of a works which has grown around a Georgian house, and now has sections which span three centuries.

The downstairs sections which would have been seen by customers has been modernized in the 70's (in itself quite interesting and delightfully dated) but the actual works is oh so typical of a jewelers in the fact it does not seem to have had a lick of paint for the past thirty or forty years.

A beautiful iron spiral staircase runs from basement to top floor through the offices. As with most buildings of this style it is a proper warren of stairs, odd shaped rooms and corridors.

Although "this will be the last" has become something of a cliche there can't be that many of these places left in the jewelry quarter, so it was quite a treat to get to see another un-modernized example.

DSC_1540_zpsun6lyvmj.jpg

DSC_1496_zpscwjdxjmh.jpg

Plating shop
DSC_1507_zpsfsimxceh.jpg
DSC_1503_zpswd6histt.jpg

DSC_1489_zpsisux7lmh.jpg

DSC_1492_zpsc2nwf8km.jpg
DSC_1491_zpsshthzkqu.jpg

Caged skylight, preventing theft of gold from above!
DSC_1487_zpsh9rahuxg.jpg

DSC_1478_zpsbj2iqb8y.jpg

DSC_1477_zpsfbyxgxm6.jpg
DSC_1463_zpsz7qp9xtd.jpg

DSC_1468_zps5zyf8ffj.jpg

DSC_1451_zpsrolkhhix.jpg

1871 newspaper scrap from under the floor
DSC_1447_zpspwlabz9i.jpg

DSC_1437_zpszuv1b28r.jpg

DSC_1435_zpsxuikqgse.jpg

DSC_1431_zpszbbvppea.jpg

DSC_1430_zpshwz5sdly.jpg
DSC_1396_zpsikswf3uv.jpg

DSC_1419_zpsigjum8rf.jpg

DSC_1411_zpsathbf8nb.jpg
DSC_1414_zps3dh5if98.jpg

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
DSC_1406_zpsuiohtmdi.jpg

DSC_1397_zpstrjqzpje.jpg

DSC_1376_zpsrxe3yzqo.jpg

Taken through a window of a locked door... that Tansad chair is moulding up nicely away from the hand of man!
DSC_1368_zpsswlqwntq.jpg
DSC_1362_zpsxuyjg5hu.jpg

Similar set up here to frosts where prospective customers would have been shown to one of the offices to meet a sales rep behind a desk... a security precaution I guess seeing as they were dealing in gold.
DSC_1353_zpsmtk4f6sq.jpg

I'm guessing these doors were once at the front facing the main entrance, but got relegated to behind the scenes in the 70's refit. Not quite the stained glass epic of Frost's, but a nice quality touch.
DSC_1522_zpsg24uitxv.jpg

DSC_1351_zpsclrapw5s.jpg

DSC_1349_zpswx1chi6g.jpg

The walk in safe was lovely, with wooden cupboards each containing a paper label detailing which items of jewellery were stored inside
DSC_1516_zpsigwnid0b.jpg

DSC_1341_zpslqw2i1fs.jpg

DSC_1343_zpsb7tynncp.jpg

DSC_1344_zps0xo2m5ee.jpg

DSC_1524_zpsdt7ssz2x.jpg

DSC_1526_zpsmwgffmlj.jpg

DSC_1532_zps6zzoovrc.jpg

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Just something of interest relating to the "1 / 2" doors. I recently weighed some gold scrap in and it seems that that system is still very much in use. After telling the receptionist of my business, a light comes on over one of the doors which indicates the door is unlocked. Once inside the transaction is conducted in private.I must say sadly the doors these days are not as finely etched!!