real time web analytics
Report - - Aida Bliss Foundry - April 2017 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Aida Bliss Foundry - April 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Urban_Tomb_Raider

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
April was a squeeze to do, the previous attempt of month was a fail in terms of getting in to anywhere new, I ended up returning to Cash & Carry (prev report here https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/le-sansom-cash-carry-march-2017.t107941) as I thought I missed a large section of the upstairs part. Turns out access changed into something a bit more dangerous and I had originally seen all of the building. I did however end up taking a few better shots this time round and had a more relaxed explore. Done with Punk and Elhomer12.
i3xuno.jpg

swrcex.jpg

2rzs4t3.jpg

vs1k6q.jpg

29ood2o.jpg

dc6a0w.jpg

15drr04.jpg

69jp15.jpg

4j2hj9.jpg

5yask8.jpg

2nibdc3.jpg

Few days after, seeing sunlight for the first time in three hours after emerging from Flo Selecta, the drains were ditched and Aida Bliss Foundry was hit, with Yorrick. Yes it's trashed, most people wouldn't even bother entering it, but I found it stupidly beautiful. It had some incredible graffiti on the walls, a wide variety of interesting junk left behind to rot, wonderful amounts of moss and plants growing through the walls, ceilings and floors, and an even more stunning amount of decay. Place is very popular for young kids it seems. One was climbing through a window before seeing us, shitting himself and falling out, going out the way he tried to come in. Bless.

Some parts of the building looked to have experienced fire, in particular the centre structures in the main hall. That I presume, is most likely to all the youths once again and vandalism.

History (taken from mookster)

"In 1868, Alfred Seale Haslam bought the ‘Union’ foundry. At first he employed only 20 men, but despite a fire in 1873, he was always looking to expand. After experimentation and expansion he started the production of dry-air refrigeration equipment. In 1880, the first refrigeration system was designed at the foundry, which made it possible to import frozen food from Australia and South America. It was not long after the first ground-breaking journeys that fruit and vegetables were being transported in refrigeration ships and cold storage plants installed at dockyards and major markets.

Haslam also built a large numbers of good houses for his workforce over a period of 40 years, some set around the medieval common, which was established as a public park in the 1880s. He became a very important figure locally. In 1890/1 he was elected Mayor of Derby and he also laid on an impressive reception for Queen Victoria, when she visited Derby to open the Derbyshire Infirmary."

Also an interesting article from last year about the landmark possibly being brought and turned into a flood defence. http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/lan...ught-council/story-29089338-detail/story.html

zsqryb.jpg

2a6lcu8.jpg

11rg6kj.jpg
33b0ia8.jpg

34dhcvo.jpg
712qvm.jpg

fkmuc3.jpg

2nw222w.jpg

2567cb9.jpg
5uwt2.jpg

2i27bli.jpg
24m6k94.jpg

2m603tl.jpg
334ub0i.jpg
x2m1xd.jpg
2jeps9z.jpg

2v92jrp.jpg

ivfz34.jpg

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report, i was here a few weeks ago and it was full of kids smashing what's left up…still a nice looking buildin.Theres a mill round the corner too that was also getting a kicking from the local youth..

Urban_Tomb_Raider

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report, i was here a few weeks ago and it was full of kids smashing what's left up…still a nice looking buildin.Theres a mill round the corner too that was also getting a kicking from the local youth..
It's a shame most youths always have to destroy things. I can appreciate the more artistic graffiti, but chav tags and typical shit like that always puts a downer on the experience. Oddly even though this place is trashed, it still is absolutely beautiful. Didn't know about the mill, I'll have to look into it.

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
Good to meet you mate. Was a really chilled afternoon.
You've got some cracking shots there.

full of kids smashing what's left up

We just saw the one. When I said "smile for the camera" his Usain Bolt impression was hilarious!