real time web analytics
Report - - Ainsworth Mill, Bolton - May 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ainsworth Mill, Bolton - May 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

chieftain

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ok so this is my first report so go easy on me, Visited here with @Myths access was straightforward enough and was a nice little wander considering its just up the road. I have found a little bit of history regarding this place although there isn't much.

History

The site was in use in 1850. It was reconfigured in 1893. It was driven by a condensing stationary steam engine which required a reservoir or mill lodge to contain water to condense the steam; this was filled in the 1970s. The mill took advantage of the copious soft water to engage in finishing yarn or fabric. The processes involved bleaching, mercerising and dyeing. The industry peaked in 1912 when it produced 8 billion yards of cloth. The great war of 1914–1918 halted the supply of raw cotton, and the British government encouraged its colonys to build mills to spin and weave cotton. The war over, Lancashire never regained its markets. The independent mills were struggling. The Bank of England set up the Lancashire Cotton Corporation in 1929 to attempt to rationalise and save the industry.

Ainsworth Mill, Breightmet was one of 104 mills bought last by the LCC. It one of the 53 mills that LCC owned in 1950, and was extensively refurbished to provide a mercerising facility. They established a research and quality control laboratory here to service the group and ensure the stability of the colour. Yarn was received from other mills in the group in warp or in hank, and is mercerised, bleached and dyed, then wrapped into hank, cone, quiller pirn, back beam, weaver's beam, cheese or precision wound multiple end cheese as required. On LCC demise, Ainsworth Mill continued in business as a bleaching and dyeing work until the dyeing company that went into liquidation in 2006. The works is derelict, but surveys have been done showing an intention of bring the mill back into industrial use.

I havent managed to find anything online with regards to bringing the mill back into industrial use.

heres a link I found of a picture within the mill around 1910 : https://www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterarchiveplus/5238930878/

anyway heres some shots from the visit.
ainswortn mill 2.jpg

ainsworth mill 3.jpg

ainsworth mill 4.jpg

ainsworth mill 5.jpg

ainsworth mill 6.jpg

ainsworth mill 7.jpg

ainsworth mill 8.jpg

ainsworth mill 9.jpg

ainsworth mill 1.jpg
ainsworth mill 10.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That's a good first report. Shame there is not much left in there but good work all the same,keep at it!

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Nice first report mate, well done. :thumb

May have to check this place out myself.

chieftain

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks everyone for the nice comments :D hopefully will have another report up next week just have to get this damn uni work finished :banghead

Funlestet

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited this place yesterday, loads of kids running round and hiding think we were security.
On our exit we found that the main gate had been open, not sure if kids or proper security.

Hutchy1995

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report :thumb, I live fairly local to this place literally one bus journey away may have to give it a look :rolleyes:

Diggertron 5000

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I occasionally see the gates open with a car parked outside so I just assumed that the owner goes back periodically.

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details