real time web analytics
Air raid shelter, Western Park Open Air School, Leicester - May 2013 | Yorrick | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Air raid shelter, Western Park Open Air School, Leicester - May 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
I went to have a look for this air raid shelter a few weeks ago, following another tip from Canute.

I didn’t find an entrance to the shelter.

The school was sealed up too but I thought it was interesting and very similar to St Gerard’s, Coleshill.

But bigger. And Emptier. And sealed.

10.jpg

Western Park Open Air School was built following medical principles based on those of sanatoria: fresh air, rest, exercise and good food were keys to health.

Pupils spent as much time on outdoor activities as possible, even sleeping in the playground every afternoon.

Glazed all around, the chalet-style classrooms, and the hall, could be opened up to the air and sunlight.

Another novel feature of the school was a spray (shower) room, not just for cleanliness but as hydrotherapy, supposed to stimulate and strengthen the body.

The school allowed pupils, with respiratory and other debilitating illnesses to access education

A couple of days ago I heard that the air raid shelter was open so I went for a look.

Twelve short tunnels arranged in three connecting squares.

1.jpg

Both of the original entrances are full of rubble. I think this one had a ramp rather than steps.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Three of these were the only bit of signage I found.

4.jpg

5.jpg

The remains of a ventilation fan.

6.jpg

Remains of a partition and door with lock
7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

The school remains on my list.