real time web analytics
Report - - Alderbury ROC Post - September 2015 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Alderbury ROC Post - September 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Springypeach

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Before I start, this is my first report so please be gentle!

History
(Taken from website)

"The Royal Observer Corps were in existence from 1925 to 1995 and their first significant operation was to act as aircraft spotters in WW2 where their task was to radio in any sightings of enemy aircraft or flying bombs. After the war ended they were briefly stood down after being in continuous operation from September 1939 to May 1945 then as the peace transitioned into the Cold War their role changed. The new role was to report nuclear explosions and monitor the nuclear fallout, to do this the crew of three would have to be prepared to spend up to 21 days underground in a 16ft x 7ft x 7ft bunker, between 1958 and 1968 over 1,500 of these bunkers were built across the country."

These ROC posts have always interested me along with old pill box bunkers and war shelters, I think it's because when your inside one you can imagine what it would have been like in the war, with planes flying over and bombs going off in the distance. Although the underground ROC posts are nearly over a hundred years old the condition of the them (at least the one I visited) was surprisingly good. What was nice about this ROC posts also was the fact that had not been vandalised and things were still inside, although not as much as I've seen in other reports unfortunately, there was an original asbestos fire blanked still in its red box on the wall which was nice and the crate with "Home Office Property" was a nice touch. Looked like the bunker could still provide good shelter should WW3 be round the corner!!

Wasn't down there long as I was on my own and having passed some rather shady looking travelling gentlemen on the way up there either fly tipping, hare coursing, dog fighting or bear bating. Had images of the hatch being welded shut whilst I was down there so made it sharpish!

Also just found out that this particular post was used recently for some filming with the BBC due to its reasonably good condition.

Apologies for quality of pictures, didn't have camera so had to make do with phone :(

image.jpg

Picture found on web taken in 1962. The Mayor of Salisbury doing a bit of urban exploration!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for having a gander!

Last edited:

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Nicely done and good effort with your first report :thumb Looks a nice ROC post, not too trashed,

You don't need to stick exact date in, month and year is fine.

Cuuvin

28DL Colonial Member
28DL Full Member
Very Nice first effort !:thumb Just have some very minor (easy) suggestions ... usually don't put a date in the title, that way if something unrelated to your visit happened on that date THEY can't say " Well, you were there, so it must have been you " & have a space between the pics. sometimes a series of pics will have similar backgrounds (dark , foliage, etc.) that make them seem to be one long picture :confused: confuses the hell out of us old farts :p really nothing major but those little niggles will usually get a response

(like this one! :D )
KEEP-CALM-EXPLORE-ON--small.jpg

(edit) see, told ya so! ;) )
Nicely done and good effort with your first report :thumb Looks a nice ROC post, not too trashed,

You don't need to stick exact date in, month and year is fine.

Last edited:

wellingtonian

Subterráneo
Regular User
Good report, well done :thumb
Nice to see the posters still on the wall. All in all, that's a fairly tidy ROC post.

Cuuvin

28DL Colonial Member
28DL Full Member
:thumb not a prob. make a valid effort ,you'll get help. Be a Bunghole , get treated as a bunghole :slap

Springypeach

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There's another one not too far away at Amesbury that's also in respectable condition.
Yeah I know where that one is, didn't have time to visit it today unfortunately, there are a few others fairly local to there however I've heard they are locked. Be great to get into a locked one, see what untouched items of shite are down there :)

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
One unlocked at Avebury, but it's flooded to a depth of about 8-10 inches. Within this part of Wiltshire, the others are locked and I have checked. A locked one at Wroughton is used now as a geological seismological monitoring station recording earthquake tremors.

Springypeach

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
One unlocked at Avebury, but it's flooded to a depth of about 8-10 inches. Within this part of Wiltshire, the others are locked and I have checked. A locked one at Wroughton is used now as a geological seismological monitoring station recording earthquake tremors.
Shame