Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - Aldershot Outskirts - Hampshire - Reservoir? | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - Aldershot Outskirts - Hampshire - Reservoir?

TrevBish

www.TrevBish.co.uk
Regular User
After a failed days explore, I drove past here and thought i would have a look. Any ideas? The picture with the steps go deep under the whole building, it was bone dry in there from what I could see but never got a chance to climb down and look. Need a re-visit.

Is this just a water reservoir or is it more? I cant find any history.

Untitled.jpg

DSCF0101.jpg

DSCF0099.jpg

DSCF0098.jpg

DSCF0095.jpg

DSCF0094.jpg

Attachments

the126

Reckless & irresponsible
28DL Full Member
Definitely an old reservoir, probably on the top of a hill? There is usually a pumping station nearby which would be at the bottom of the hill, if that is also disused is probably as interesting than the res itself:)

Last edited:

TrevBish

www.TrevBish.co.uk
Regular User
Definitely an old reservoir, probably on the top of a hill? There is usually a pumping station nearby which would be at the bottom of the hill, if that is also disused is probably as interesting than the res itself:)
There is a tiny brick building near by but thats it, nothing of no intrest in it. There is a new water res near by which this seems to be the old one maybe?

Ordnance

Its just south of an area known as 'Caesar’s Camp' on the A287 Odiham Road (another covered example exists north of the junction with Old Park Lane) which was a major water catchment area for Aldershot Camp which had its own water supply from Aldershot Town. There were (and still are) a number of uncovered reservoir's and untill recient years a water tower and pump house on the other side of the road. These would feed smaller header reservoirs and water towers in the camp which in turn fed tanks in the roofs of the barracks.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=51.235213&lon=-0.82045&z=14.8&r=0&src=msa

Last edited:

TrevBish

www.TrevBish.co.uk
Regular User
Its just south of an area known as 'Caesar’s Camp' on the A287 Odiham Road (another covered example exists north of the junction with Old Park Lane) which was a major water catchment area for Aldershot Camp which had its own water supply from Aldershot Town. There were (and still are) a number of uncovered reservoir's and untill recient years a water tower and pump house on the other side of the road. These would feed smaller header reservoirs and water towers in the camp which in turn fed tanks in the roofs of the barracks.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=51.235213&lon=-0.82045&z=14.8&r=0&src=msa
Cheers for that. Do you think it is worth going inside? and yes the tower is still accross the road.

Ordnance

Not been used for years as far as I know. It will be a vaulted roof on pillars, but I have never been inside, I only stopped once for a look a good few years ago.

canute

货车司机和国王
Regular User
Really like those vents. It'd be interesting to see if the barrel vaults are in discrete long chambers, or fully connected to one another with columns

Ordnance

Definitely worth a look, it looks quite old and quite large. Take shed loads of lighting.
I would add that the old hutted Aldershot Camp dates from the 1880's after the Crimean War when it replaced an earler tented camp. When the Water Works & Catchment Area started to be built, The date of this stucture I do not know, but it has not been in action since the at least the late 50's

HAMMY44

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi I'm new to this forum but have been exploring for years this place is very local to me and was going to do it soon has anyone been into it yet or know anything that I should know befor I enter any help would be awesome cheers

oldblagger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I went and had a look around the top of this a couple of weeks ago as I was passing through the area, looks just the same as the photos! If anyone fancies having a peek inside then I would like to come as well. I could see water inside from one of the broken vents but how much I couldn't tell, but it does seem much much deeper than the steps leading down from the hatch