Web
Analytics
Report - - Alkerden Farm, Swanscombe.Kent . April 18 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Alkerden Farm, Swanscombe.Kent . April 18

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Alkerden Farm

Old photo from 2004 before left in 2005

2376441_fd90cb05.jpg

There was not a lot of history I could find on this place. I knew it had a circ 16th century 2 up 2 down farm house, and other outbuildings. It was recently
in our local paper as conservationists wanted to preserve the old farmhouse. This site has been abandoned since 2005 I think, planning was applied for in 2009 and is still under consideration, the exstentive land houses lots of wildlife and bats, and so more investigation is needed. I did find out that the old grain storage unit was rented by a 3rd party who owed some of the additional land, planning for his own grain storage unit approved in 2005, but the building never materialised. The farm has now been left to rot, though the other farmhouse on the site looks newly refurbished, it remains unoccupied, and the C 16th century one is still on site surrounded by fencing and in a very unstable state.

I found virtually no history on the place other than a few lines in history forums, stating that in Viking times & Saxon times this farm was in its own little Hamlet. From reading its history is very convoluted, it appears it was seized several times for different reasons. One being that the farm it self is on a bed of chalk, and surrounded by woodlands & marsh lands, that gave off gases that were claimed to be polluting the village. As the history is so convoluted and mixes with the vastness of the farms area, that was once part of Swanscombe woods aswell, that is covered with stories of hanging, secret caves, and even makes it into the Doomsday book. So rather than confuse myself anymore, onto my explore.

The Explore

The explore was a nice mooch. I didnt think I would have much time as 24 hour security fences and signs are now everywhere. But I chanced it, no way I could run, so I found my route in and processed to ramble around. I was a little wary as the brick farmhouse was newly refurbished and I thought it must be lived in. Sadly there was no way through the new double glazed windows and doors on this building. But all the others were accessible. So I began my wander.

Refurbished house today, still empty but no way in

DSC_0061.jpg1st try.jpg

So onto the abandoned buildings

First off the 16th century farmhouse or death trap as I found / did not enter as flooring was gone, and tbh didn't fancy injury on my first urbex for 5 months.

DSC_0060.JPG

DSC_0094.JPG

DSC_0095.JPG

DSC_0058.JPG

But there was plenty to explore and accessible

DSC_0075.JPG

Yep found the well, and then another ?

DSC_0092.JPG

DSC_0096.JPG

On too some internals/ old machines and one of my favorite things

DSC_0085.JPG

DSC_0086.JPG

DSC_0087.JPG

DSC_0088.JPG

DSC_0090.JPG

DSC_0079.JPG

DSC_0067.JPG

DSC_0080.JPG

Old furniture taken from one of the farmhouses I assume

DSC_0073.JPG

DSC_0070.JPG

DSC_0078.JPG

DSC_0074.JPG

Back to some farm machinery

DSC_0077.JPG

DSC_0065.JPG

DSC_0068.JPG

DSC_0083.JPG

And finally some outside bits

DSC_0097.JPG

DSC_0081.JPG

DSC_0069.JPG

DSC_0098.JPG

Thanks for reading or viewing C.J

Minelle

28DL Member
28DL Member
Alkerden Farm

Old photo from 2004 before left in 2005

View attachment 760354
There was not a lot of history I could find on this place. I knew it had a circ 16th century 2 up 2 down farm house, and other outbuildings. It was recently
in our local paper as conservationists wanted to preserve the old farmhouse. This site has been abandoned since 2005 I think, planning was applied for in 2009 and is still under consideration, the exstentive land houses lots of wildlife and bats, and so more investigation is needed. I did find out that the old grain storage unit was rented by a 3rd party who owed some of the additional land, planning for his own grain storage unit approved in 2005, but the building never materialised. The farm has now been left to rot, though the other farmhouse on the site looks newly refurbished, it remains unoccupied, and the C 16th century one is still on site surrounded by fencing and in a very unstable state.

I found
virtually no history on the place other than a few lines in history forums, stating that in Viking times & Saxon times this farm was in its own little Hamlet. From reading its history is very convoluted, it appears it was seized several times for different reasons. One being that the farm it self is on a bed of chalk, and surrounded by woodlands & marsh lands, that gave off gases that were claimed to be polluting the village. As the history is so convoluted and mixes with the vastness of the farms area, that was once part of Swanscombe woods aswell, that is covered with stories of hanging, secret caves, and even makes it into the Doomsday book. So rather than confuse myself anymore, onto my explore.

The Explore

The explore was a nice mooch. I didnt think I would have much time as 24 hour security fences and signs are now everywhere. But I chanced it, no way I could run, so I found my route in and processed to ramble around. I was a little wary as the brick farmhouse was newly refurbished and I thought it must be lived in. Sadly there was no way through the new double glazed windows and doors on this building. But all the others were accessible. So I began my wander.

Refurbished house today, still empty but no way in

View attachment 760355
So onto the abandoned buildings

First off the 16th century farmhouse or death trap as I found / did not enter as flooring was gone, and tbh didn't fancy injury on my first urbex for 5 months.

View attachment 760356

View attachment 760357

View attachment 760358

View attachment 760437

But there was plenty to explore and accessible

View attachment 760438

Yep found the well, and then another ?

View attachment 760439

View attachment 760440

On too some internals/ old machines and one of my favorite things

View attachment 760441

View attachment 760442

View attachment 760443

View attachment 760444

View attachment 760445

View attachment 760446

View attachment 760447

View attachment 760448

Old furniture taken from one of the farmhouses I assume

View attachment 760449

View attachment 760450

View attachment 760451

View attachment 760452

Back to some farm machinery

View attachment 760453

View attachment 760454

View attachment 760455

View attachment 760456

And finally some outside bits

View attachment 760457

View attachment 760458

View attachment 760459

View attachment 760460

Thanks for reading or viewing C.J
Hello. These pictures are wonderful. My dad was born on this farm back in September 1931. He died 2 days ago on the 6th November 2019, so i thought i would put together a few memories. I was only expecting a far away vague photo of the farm, but was overjoyed to see so many! I understand that a lot might not be from when he was there, but it's nice to imagine. I can't wait to show my family your work. Thank you so much xx