real time web analytics
Report - - All Saint's, Ballidon | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - All Saint's, Ballidon

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tigger

mog
Regular User
A visit from a few years ago and included as the site doesn't seem to have appeared on here before. At the time of this visit the church was 'closed' and awaiting some TLC from the stupidly named Friends of Friendless Churches. It has been redundant since 2003. The wooden floor in front of the altar and organ was in poor condition and there were a few minor leaks. Other than that it seemed in fairly good condition. The organ looks to have been vandalised but the that isn't the case....it has been stripped of some parts for use in other restoration elsewhere. I believe it is open again now.
The first definite reference to a church on the site is from 1205. Like many churches it was subject to major renovation in the 1800s (twice in this case) which has left some of the older features out of context and difficult to interpret. Listed Grade II

b0002.jpg

b0001.jpg

b0003.jpg

b0004.jpg

b0005.jpg

b0006.jpg

Organ
b0007.jpg

b0008.jpg

One of the odd features is the hanging fireplace visible at the top left. There is no other sign that there was a room up there.
b0009.jpg

b0010.jpg

b0011.jpg

b0012.jpg

b0013.jpg

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Fantastic stuff. Back when it was still "doable". When I came here in May 2016 was all locked up. The organ was in a poor way...

26802741996_be479c5c52_b.jpg
img5233 by HughieDW, on Flickr

Last edited:

tigger

mog
Regular User
I remember you visiting soon after I had and was a bit surprised there wasn't a post on here. It would be interesting to see what they have done. Hopefully removed some of the bits of tree from the path as well as fix the floor. The organ is probably a lost cause unless they steal the parts back from the one it was used to repair!
I was quite close to there one day last week but didn't have time to detour.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I remember you visiting soon after I had and was a bit surprised there wasn't a post on here. It would be interesting to see what they have done. Hopefully removed some of the bits of tree from the path as well as fix the floor. The organ is probably a lost cause unless they steal the parts back from the one it was used to repair!
I was quite close to there one day last week but didn't have time to detour.

Ah, I remember now. Didn't post a report on here given I didn't get in and the 'interals' were through holes in the windows. I'm guessing it's still locked up.

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
I do like a little chapel. That font is a stunner, nicely covered.

At the time of this visit the church was 'closed' and awaiting some TLC from the stupidly named Friends of Friendless Churches.

It seems they have given it some TLC. From their website - We’ve been repairing All Saints over the past few years – re-roofing the nave and chancel, improving drainage, upgrading rainwater goods, repairing glazing and masonry, redecorating ironwork and stabilising the churchyard wall. We’re thrilled that Ballidon is now open daily, but we also need a local keyholder – so do get in touch if you can help!