real time web analytics
Report - - Altringham General Hospital, Trafford - October 2016 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Altringham General Hospital, Trafford - October 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Night Visit

Visited here with @Coolboyslim on a last minute 'tour' of Trafford, I've not seen anything of this place apart from the recent report by @Vulex *, the hospital is currently being partially demolished with the older section of the building due to stay for conversion into flats/ offices. The hospital closed in late 2014 when it moved down the road to a new purpose built building, bit of a shame it was a night visit, Visiting in the daylight would have made for much better shots. But definitely worth the visit.

* - Forget that I've just looked again and there are many. :rolleyes:
309799682d7f9.jpg

[0]​

History
The population of Altrincham was growing and in 1870, the management of Lloyds Fever Hospital and Provident Dispensary was handed over to the new Altrincham Provident Dispensary and Hospital, marking the establishment of what would become Altrincham General Hospital. A new building to accommodate the growing population was proposed and a site on Market Street was chosen. Records show the building was occupied in March 1871, although no evidence of an official opening ceremony has been found.

A man and his wife were also employed to reside in the hospital for the purpose of cleaning, attending to patients and assisting the resident dispenser. The first matron for the hospital was a Mrs. Tatham, who was appointed in 1872 at the salary of £30 a year with board and lodgings. A report on the first year of service dated to 1872 reported that the number of in-patients admitted to the hospital was 28, of whom 17 were discharged as cured and four died. The average length of stay for patients was 36 days.

Lloyds Fever Hospital closed in 1911. The building was pulled down and the site turned into a children’s playground. As the threat of the First World War emerged the local Red Cross Society asked the hospital for permission to train volunteer nurses on its wards. It was agreed that two nurses would be trained at a time if they provided their own uniforms. On 10th August 1914, six days after the declaration of war the hospital sent a telegram to the War Office offering the use of a ward of 16 beds for wounded soldiers. By November the ward was in full use.

The hospital continued to provide healthcare after the outbreak of World War II with beds reserved for expected air-raid casualties. An air raid shelter was built in the hospital basement. On 5th July 1948, the NHS was established and Altrincham General became the headquarters for the new North and Mid-Cheshire Management Committee. In the current day, Altrincham General provides a minor injuries unit, a range of out-patient clinics, physiotherapy, X-ray, and blood test services to the local population.
(https://www.cmft.nhs.uk/media/595587/history of altrincham.pdf)

Photos
IMG_7023a47be.jpg

[1]

IMG_7019b28c4.jpg

[2]

IMG_6999dbaeb.jpg

[3]

IMG_7088f1826.jpg

[4]

IMG_7259f6418.jpg

[5]

IMG_7109d8c13.jpg

[6]

IMG_7174742b9.jpg

[7]

IMG_7218f811a.jpg

[8]

IMG_7067ed5ee.jpg

[9]

IMG_72263ef91.jpg

[10]

IMG_7041d2bd5.jpg

[11]​

Cheers For Looking :thumb

Vulex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Enjoyed M8ty's live broadcast while you two were having a mooch here. Glad you enjoyed it gronk.

Lavino

28DL Full Member
Good to see I do like the look of this place. Are the p3 shots to follow. :D

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
No p3 lol. And the night visit added to atmosphere lol. Especially the nurses sections. Nice pics m8ty and was a bloody great bit of fun. People shots soon ish lol. Can't wait to see them. Thx for joining me gronk it's massively appreciated. Love the death cart was a great last minute find.

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
No p3 lol. And the night visit added to atmosphere lol. Especially the nurses sections. Nice pics m8ty and was a bloody great bit of fun. People shots soon ish lol. Can't wait to see them. Thx for joining me gronk it's massively appreciated. Love the death cart was a great last minute find.

Cheers mate, It was a good idea of yours. I'll send you the pics of you I've got later.